Upgrading 1.2xx to latest - best practice?

puulima

Question

I didn't find anything specifically outlining the best way to go about this.  I'm assuming that I should upgrade - sounds like there may be some new features.

So is the best way to do this uninstalling completely and re-installing the new version?   Specifically - following these instructions?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q8964978

Thanks for the advice...

17 answers to this question

You should be able to just install over. It should uninstall the old components and install the new ones automatically.

You DEFINITELY DO NOT need to do the manual uninstall. The only time you should do that is if you are having serious issues with DrivePool and/or it won't install/upgrade properly.

Though, I would recommend uninstalling the old version from the Dashboard, and then install the new one. 

You should be able to just install over. It should uninstall the old components and install the new ones automatically.

You DEFINITELY DO NOT need to do the manual uninstall. The only time you should do that is if you are having serious issues with DrivePool and/or it won't install/upgrade properly.

Though, I would recommend uninstalling the old version from the Dashboard, and then install the new one. 

Just to confirm - I should uninstall the old version from the Dashboard - then install the new version from windows?  

I have a similar question if I may?  Best practice question.

I'm currently on Drivepool 1.3.7550 and see that version 2.x is available. Running on WHS11.

Ideally I would like to simply download the latest version, run it and all will work. Is this correct?

@drashna, above you seem to be recommending uninstalling old versions.  Is this true in my situation as well?  Surely I would lose all my pool settings and whatnot?

I have similar questions regarding Scanner. There I'm running version 2.3.2886, not sure what the upgrade process is.

cheers

Edward

Hi

I can confirm successful upgrade from DrivePool version 1.3.7572 to 2.0.0.420 in WHS2011 using the following procedure:

- remove the DrivePool add-in version 1.3.7572 in WH2011 dashboard

- reboot

- install DrivePool 2.0.0.420

- reboot

The only downside is that all shared folders have to recreated manually. The content, however, is all there and I experiencd no issues whatsoever

Regards

M

I have a similar question if I may?  Best practice question.

I'm currently on Drivepool 1.3.7550 and see that version 2.x is available. Running on WHS11.

Ideally I would like to simply download the latest version, run it and all will work. Is this correct?

@drashna, above you seem to be recommending uninstalling old versions.  Is this true in my situation as well?  Surely I would lose all my pool settings and whatnot?

I have similar questions regarding Scanner. There I'm running version 2.3.2886, not sure what the upgrade process is.

cheers

Edward

Both 1.3 and 2.x are actively maintained. 

Either can be installed on WHS2011, but I'd recommend sticking with 1.3. It's a lot more tightly integrated with the Dashboard, and provides a more smooth interface.

Hi

I can confirm successful upgrade from DrivePool version 1.3.7572 to 2.0.0.420 in WHS2011 using the following procedure:

- remove the DrivePool add-in version 1.3.7572 in WH2011 dashboard

- reboot

- install DrivePool 2.0.0.420

- reboot

The only downside is that all shared folders have to recreated manually. The content, however, is all there and I experiencd no issues whatsoever

Regards

M

In theory, the Pool drive should have come back with the same drive letter and not needed to have the shares recreated. However, that may have needed an additional reboot to get done. But as long as everything is working.

That is odd that it didn't "fix" the shares automatically.

Also, for the future, if you need it, the "WSS TroubleShooter"s "Rebuild DrivePool Shares" option will do that automatically for you.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Utilities

And yeah, it can definitely survive the update process. It can also survive a reinstall, or moving the pooled drives to another machine! :)

Both 1.3 and 2.x are actively maintained. 

Either can be installed on WHS2011, but I'd recommend sticking with 1.3. It's a lot more tightly integrated with the Dashboard, and provides a more smooth interface.

In theory, the Pool drive should have come back with the same drive letter and not needed to have the shares recreated. However, that may have needed an additional reboot to get done. But as long as everything is working.

Thanks Drashna, whilst using WHS2011 I will stick with Drivepool 1.3 then.  I'm thinking of installing WHS2012R2 on a spare SSD drive.  I'll raise a new topic on that in terms of steps to be taken.

cheers

Edward 

Thanks drashna.  Yes on a different machine here I use an SSD. Difference?  Night and day. :)

I'll open a new thread (probably over at Homersever Show) as I believe there may be an issue with regards to Windows Server 2012R2 and HP Microsever's onboard network controller. But for sure my understanding of DrivePool is that it is essentially 'move the disks over' as you say.

Quick question if I may? Any issues on running Drivepool 2.x and then, later on, using DrivePool 1.x on same pool? For example if I use Windows Server 2012R2 and then wish to regrade to WHS2011?  Will I still see the pools correctly - or is it a one way street?

cheers

Edward

Yeah, SSD really makes a difference!

As for the network stuff, you need to enable the "Network IO Boost" to prioritize network traffic.

And no, no issues with switching the versions. None at all actually. They are backwards and forwards compatible.

Actually, for my testing machines, I use one set of VHDs between the different machines all the time.