Corrupted... Again

Teshiburu2017

Question

So, following yet another google outage I have lost another 20TB of data on my Clouddrives... 

Initially i was told this was because i had created to large of a drive and should stick to 50tb or less.... so i did... and I've lost it again, my folder is "corrupt"... 

Does anyone have any workaround or fix to this? or anyway that i can prevent this constant corruption from happening? I am sick and tired of having to redownload from my backups! 

9 answers to this question

This seems to be fixing it.. but I too had suffered at the last outage. This time I created a 10TB Drive (so I can CHKDSK Easier), and also have UPLOAD VERIFICATION turned on. It cuts upload speeds in half... but it's worth not losing data.

EDIT: Btw, what backup provider are you using. I'm using Backblaze... but it's really slow.

On 4/16/2019 at 11:24 AM, Bowsa said:

also have UPLOAD VERIFICATION turned on. It cuts upload speeds in half... but it's worth not losing data.

To be clear: this is not necessarily true. It depends on the speed of your connection. All the upload verification means is that it will download every byte that it uploads before clearing the data from the local cache. If your downstream bandwidth is at least as large as your upstream bandwidth, it should not theoretically slow down your upload speeds at all. There will just be a delay before the data is removed from local storage while it reads the data back from the provider. CloudDrive can (and will) still move on to the next chunk upload while this process is completed. 

11 minutes ago, srcrist said:

To be clear: this is not necessarily true. It depends on the speed of your connection. All the upload verification means is that it will download every byte that it uploads before clearing the data from the local cache. If your downstream bandwidth is at least as large as your upstream bandwidth, it should not theoretically slow down your upload speeds at all. There will just be a delay before the data is removed from local storage while it reads the data back from the provider. CloudDrive can (and will) still move on to the next chunk upload while this process is completed. 

But as far as i saw the new upload thread doesnt start before the old one was verified - am i wrong here?

15 minutes ago, steffenmand said:

But as far as i saw the new upload thread doesnt start before the old one was verified - am i wrong here?

No, you're right. It will use the upload thread count to download the data, so that will take up some number of slots for a time before those threads will be available for a new upload chunk. The mistake, though, is translating that to a loss of throughput, which isn't (or at least does not necessarily need to be) true. That is: you can achieve the same upload speeds with more threads, if you need to. 5 upload threads should be more than enough for most users to still max out the 70-75mbps of average data that Google allows you to upload each day, while also reading back the chunks in real-time.

What *is* true is that if you theoretically only had one upload thread, it would have to use the same thread to read the data back each time, and that would slow things down somewhat. But, even for residential connections, that wouldn't generally translate to a 50% reduction in throughput, because your downstream capacity is generally a lot faster than your upstream on residential connections. So it would take a lot less time to *read* each chunk than to upload it to the provider. If your connection is symmetrical, then the question simply becomes about your overall throughput. Anything over 100 mbps or so should not generally notice a difference aside from downstream congestion as a result of the verification process. 

Bottom line: If you *do* suffer a performance drop with upload verification enabled, and you're working with a high-bandwidth connection (100 mbps symmetrical or more), you just need to add a few upload threads to accommodate the increased workload. As long as you can hit 70ish mbps upload, though, you're capable of maxing out Google's limitations regardless. So all of this only sort of matters in a theoretical sense. 

On 4/16/2019 at 1:44 AM, Teshiburu2017 said:

So, following yet another google outage I have lost another 20TB of data on my Clouddrives... 

Initially i was told this was because i had created to large of a drive and should stick to 50tb or less.... so i did... and I've lost it again, my folder is "corrupt"... 

Does anyone have any workaround or fix to this? or anyway that i can prevent this constant corruption from happening? I am sick and tired of having to redownload from my backups! 

For whatever reason, it seems that the Google Drives are the ones having the most issues with this. 

Try: 

1. Take the drive offline in disk management
  2. Turn off all pinning in the CloudDrive UI
  3. Clear the local cache, and wait until it's down to 0 bytes (literally empty)
  4. Bring the cloud drive back online from disk management

You may need to run step #3 multiple times to get it down to 0 bytes. 

If that doesn't help, then run "chkdsk /f" on the drive in question, as that may repair the file system.

If that doesn't, then could you run rstudio and send us the logs for the drive in question? 

9 hours ago, srcrist said:

No, you're right. It will use the upload thread count to download the data, so that will take up some number of slots for a time before those threads will be available for a new upload chunk. The mistake, though, is translating that to a loss of throughput, which isn't (or at least does not necessarily need to be) true. That is: you can achieve the same upload speeds with more threads, if you need to. 5 upload threads should be more than enough for most users to still max out the 70-75mbps of average data that Google allows you to upload each day, while also reading back the chunks in real-time.

What *is* true is that if you theoretically only had one upload thread, it would have to use the same thread to read the data back each time, and that would slow things down somewhat. But, even for residential connections, that wouldn't generally translate to a 50% reduction in throughput, because your downstream capacity is generally a lot faster than your upstream on residential connections. So it would take a lot less time to *read* each chunk than to upload it to the provider. If your connection is symmetrical, then the question simply becomes about your overall throughput. Anything over 100 mbps or so should not generally notice a difference aside from downstream congestion as a result of the verification process. 

Bottom line: If you *do* suffer a performance drop with upload verification enabled, and you're working with a high-bandwidth connection (100 mbps symmetrical or more), you just need to add a few upload threads to accommodate the increased workload. As long as you can hit 70ish mbps upload, though, you're capable of maxing out Google's limitations regardless. So all of this only sort of matters in a theoretical sense. 

You are not counting the thread response time into the equation. The delay you get there will end up giving you slower responses. In my case that is 2500-2800 ms. Ie. i lose 2,5 second per verification. But ofc. if you work with very few threads it is the case, but with a high amount of threads you cant really increase it further without getting throttling :)

12 hours ago, steffenmand said:

You are not counting the thread response time into the equation. The delay you get there will end up giving you slower responses. In my case that is 2500-2800 ms. Ie. i lose 2,5 second per verification. But ofc. if you work with very few threads it is the case, but with a high amount of threads you cant really increase it further without getting throttling :)

A 2500-2800ms response time to google is almost *certainly* a network issue on your part, and not one that needs to be considered as a general concern. It should not take that long to send an internet packet around the entire planet, and, if you're seeing that sort of latency, you probably have bad hardware between you and your destination. A round trip to a satellite, which is the lengthiest hop in existence, is only 500ms plus the terrestrial hops. So unless you are, for some reason, beaming data to space and back several times, 2500-2800ms is simply a broken connection. I think it's important for you to consider just how unrepresentative that is, of the typical internet user, when considering whether or not someone is speaking to your issues specifically, or when requesting that changes be made to accommodate your situation. You're talking about latency that exceeds 5x even the typical satellite internet connection. The number of people dealing with such a situation are a fraction of a fraction of a percent. 

Regardless of your situation, though, Google themselves have a hard limit of 750gb/day. A single thread, for most users, can hit that limit. In any case, my above response is perfectly compatible with slower response times. It's very easy to hit the maximum 70-75 mbps. No matter how many threads are taken up by reads, you can always add additional threads to make up for the read threads. If there are two read threads outstanding, you add two more for uploads. If there are 4 read threads outstanding, you add 4. If your responses are that slow, you won't get throttled no matter how many threads you add--which means that adding threads can always compensate for your connection delays. If you're still experiencing throughput issues, the problem is something else. 

On 4/18/2019 at 10:03 PM, srcrist said:

A 2500-2800ms response time to google is almost *certainly* a network issue on your part, and not one that needs to be considered as a general concern. It should not take that long to send an internet packet around the entire planet, and, if you're seeing that sort of latency, you probably have bad hardware between you and your destination. A round trip to a satellite, which is the lengthiest hop in existence, is only 500ms plus the terrestrial hops. So unless you are, for some reason, beaming data to space and back several times, 2500-2800ms is simply a broken connection. I think it's important for you to consider just how unrepresentative that is, of the typical internet user, when considering whether or not someone is speaking to your issues specifically, or when requesting that changes be made to accommodate your situation. You're talking about latency that exceeds 5x even the typical satellite internet connection. The number of people dealing with such a situation are a fraction of a fraction of a percent. 

Regardless of your situation, though, Google themselves have a hard limit of 750gb/day. A single thread, for most users, can hit that limit. In any case, my above response is perfectly compatible with slower response times. It's very easy to hit the maximum 70-75 mbps. No matter how many threads are taken up by reads, you can always add additional threads to make up for the read threads. If there are two read threads outstanding, you add two more for uploads. If there are 4 read threads outstanding, you add 4. If your responses are that slow, you won't get throttled no matter how many threads you add--which means that adding threads can always compensate for your connection delays. If you're still experiencing throughput issues, the problem is something else. 

Thanks for your thorough explaination.

but no its not a hardware issue. running enterprise level gear in a top end datacenter. the latency is based on google response times and not the internet itself