Is this normal?

RJGNOW

Question

Ok, Is it normal (when a drive 'goes missing'), for Scanner to drop the drive also? 

Here's what happened: (DrivePool + Scanner)

1) 2 Drives in my new N54L unexpantly and for no aparrent reason went missing.

2) DrivePool showed the drives as missing, and has a helpfull bit of text that instructs for better drive location to use Scanner.

3) The problem is, the drives are not in Scanner either. (they were missing from the WHS drive tab also.)

I would think that Scanner would make the detailed drive information persistant in order to help find the missing drive?

Anyway; a reboot fixed the problem with the missing drives...

3 answers to this question

That the drives have just "disappeared" isn't a good thing to start with.

I'd recommend checking out the event viewer for disk related errors.

As for the persistent information, we've had a similar request recently, so it's on Alex's mind. I'll mention it to him again (unless you want to head to http://stablebit.com/Contact and submit the feature request, so I can pass it onto alex directly.

That the drives have just "disappeared" isn't a good thing to start with.

I'd recommend checking out the event viewer for disk related errors.

As for the persistent information, we've had a similar request recently, so it's on Alex's mind. I'll mention it to him again (unless you want to head to http://stablebit.com/Contact and submit the feature request, so I can pass it onto alex directly.

Yes, I agree its a problem. I did look and there were no errors that let up to them droping out. I'm realy hoping it was a connection problem in the new N54L (a fluke). The 2 drives that dropped out were next to each other.  I will be keeping an eye on it, I guess it will be a good test for DrivePool.. :ph34r:

Well, double check the connections then (power and data).

Also, are there *any* errors in the SYSTEM section for the event viewer? They may not be "disk" errors, but they may be related.

As for DrivePool, it's designed to be very resilient. As long as the file system is intact, the pooled disks should be recognized when they come back online.