Write speeds going down to zero

johnnj

Question

Hi, guys.

A couple of days ago my pool has started showing some issues with sustained writes.  When I copy a number of large files to it, it starts at normal throughput (100-110 MB/sec).  It then starts fluctuating and then eventually will go down to 0 MB/sec according to Windows explorer.  It will sit there for a while and then go back to normal speed for a while, and then back to zero.

Eventually the copy job will complete, but it takes MUCH longer than it normally would.  Drive Pool shows the pool as healthy and there are no errors in Scanner.  The behavior persists after a reboot.

I suspected the HBA (LSI 9211-8i) so I swapped it with a new one (I keep a new spare onhand).  Next to the HBA I have a PCI slot fan because I've had heat issues with previous 9211s (hence keeping a spare).

This is the first time I've had any issues with the pool since converting to a hotswap case with an Intel expander and the LSI HBA.  

It happens not just with multiple file copy jobs.  It will also happen with writing a single large file.  The case is a Norco 4224 of recent vintage (with the newer backplanes).  OS is Server 2016 Essentials. I haven't made any changes to the system for months, with the exception of regular Windows updates.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

John

2 answers to this question

Did you check with Task Manager or the Performance arrow in DrivePool if it's just when it writes to one specific drive that it does this? Because I had the exact same problem with a drive I used for a time in a use case where I wrote many thousands of small files that would then be deleted & new ones created often. A full zero-write format fixed the issue for me. Might not have anything to do with your problem but just thought I'd mention it.