New folders ignore file placement rules?

fattipants2016

Question

If, say, E:\Music is placed on drive 1, new files added to this folder are appropriately written to drive 1.

If I create a new folder E:\Music\Test, it's written to the most empty drive, ignoring file placement rules (and then moved during balancing.)

Is there any work around for this? My backup strategies rely on certain directories only falling on particular disks.

5 answers to this question

Not me who created a ticket, actually. Not in some time.

It's going to be quite a bit of work right now to recreate the problem, because all of my file placement rules have to change with/without SSD optimizer.

This is definitely not the expected behavior, before I try?

This is the basic setup:

E:\Videos\Movies (disk 1-5)

E:\Videos\TV (disk 1)

E:\Music (disk 2)

E:\Games (disk 3)

E:\Videos\*\*.srt (disk 5)

E:\Videos\*\*.nfo (disk 5)

E:\Videos\*\*.jpg (disk 5)

Basically, music and TV are kept isolated on single disks to prevent an album / show stretching across more than 1. Movies go wherever / fill in gaps.

Small files (like subtitles and metadata) are kept seperate (disk 5) which is backed up with Acronis.

Files written to existing folders seem to follow the rules, while new subfolders and their contents ignore their parent folders rules until I balance the next time.

Seems to be working after nixing my additional partitions, blowing up my file placement rules and starting from scratch.

I don't know if it was the partitions, or a broken rule that was causing the issue.

Wish there was a bit more feedback from the software to let me know why it wasn't working, before.

That took around 8 hours of file shuffling, and may have had nothing to do with it.