Easiest way to duplicate a CloudDrive?

vashp2029

Question

I'm one of the many people that lost a ton of data on GDrive recently, but luckily I had it all duplicated on another GDrive account. Is there an easy way to duplicate the entire CloudDrive to another account? If I were to share all the raw CloudDrive files on one Google Drive account to another, then write a Google Script to copy the entire folder so the new account gets ownership of the exact copy, would I be able to mount the new copy via CloudDrive? I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to get the duplicate done completely on Google's infrastructure so I don't have to download 40 TB of data and re-upload all of it.

3 answers to this question

No. 

You *could* copy the raw data from one account to another. But the ID is actually very important here, so you could/would never want to connect both drives/accounts on the same system, then.  

You could use a Windows based VPS, though.  Temporarily, at least, mount both drives, copy the data, and let it handle the upload.

@Christopher (Drashna) Quick follow up on the above question:  In DrivePool you can replicate data and drag it manually into a newly created DP folder, then (iirc) use that with file duplication.  If you were to duplicate all encrypted data in a clouddrive, then create a second empty clouddrive and move all the duplicated encrypted files/folders to the new clouddrive folder would it then be possible to use the duplicate (CD X 2 + DrivePool)?  In this case the second clouddrive would have its own ID.  Or does clouddrive encrypt each file in a different way between two drives --  file A on CD1 is encrypted differently than file A on CD2?

On 4/24/2019 at 7:43 PM, Lex said:

@Christopher (Drashna) Quick follow up on the above question:  In DrivePool you can replicate data and drag it manually into a newly created DP folder, then (iirc) use that with file duplication.  If you were to duplicate all encrypted data in a clouddrive, then create a second empty clouddrive and move all the duplicated encrypted files/folders to the new clouddrive folder would it then be possible to use the duplicate (CD X 2 + DrivePool)?  In this case the second clouddrive would have its own ID.  Or does clouddrive encrypt each file in a different way between two drives --  file A on CD1 is encrypted differently than file A on CD2?

The question is a little bit confusing, but if you're asking if you can simply use DrivePool to duplicate at the file system level, even if the data is encrypted in the cloud by CloudDrive, then yes. That's fine. What Christopher is talking about above is duplicating the raw data on your provider. Don't do that for any reason, unless you really understand the longer term implications. The same file *will* be encrypted and stored differently on both drives.