Disks keep going missing, even though they are there

Kelby

Question

I have a DrivePool with numerous disks.  A couple of them are WD Red 10 TB drives, fairly new.  Several months ago, DrivePool kept saying one of them (F:) was missing.  It was showing up in File Explorer, but not in the DrivePool.  I tried a few different things -- rebooted, moved the disk to another hot swap bay, and it seemed to randomly come back into the pool and then disappear again.  I was worried that the drive was failing, so I put it in another computer and ran the WD Diagnostic tool, and it reported that the drive was fine.  Still concerned that the drive was failing, I removed it from the pool and from the server and bought another 10TB WD Red drive, which I formatted and called F:.  It worked fine for a day or so, but it is now having exactly the same problem.  The drive shows up in File Explorer and in Disk Management under the Computer Management utility, but Drive Pool claims it is missing.  

I am running Windows Home Server 2011.

I am also using Stablebit Scanner, and right now the disk is showing up there, but not in DrivePool.

The fact that the same problem has happened with two different drives, even though the other 7 drives in my server are all fine, seems really weird.

When I log into my server, I do occasionally note a message that the F: drive needs to be formatted, but then I get it working again just fine.  And then a few hours later it goes missing again.  I can usually get it working again through some combination of hot swapping to another bay or rebooting, but the problem returns.

1 answer to this question

Is the drive in question an External drive? 

Also, try resetting the settings.

First, run the StableBit Troubleshooter, and ues 4223 as the Contact ID request.
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Troubleshooter

And then you can reset the settings by doing this: 
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2299585B