Feature Request - Swap Drive(s)

jmone

Question

I'm currently adding 2 new 14TB drives and removing 2 x 8 TB Ones.  I'm using the GUI Remove Drive function but it does this sequentially (eg 1 drive removal at a time) and given the volume of data this will take well over a day.  One feature I liked with DriveBender is that you could do multiple parallel drive removals!  DriveBender did this by Drive Swap function where you could specify a Target Drive instead of using the Balancer and you could do as many of these in parallel as you had disks. 

I know I could do this "behind" DrivePools back but would prefer to do it through the GUI.

3 answers to this question

Thanks - The idea is more about doing parallel removals instead of in series.  eg,  It would be much quicker if DP would

- move the content of Old1-->New1 & Old2-->New2 directly at the same time rather than

- move the content of Old1-->New1 & New2, then Old2-->New1 & New2 (current behaviour) 

The more drives you are swapping at the same time the quicker this method would be.

Yeah.  Well, there is a lot that could be optimized here.  However, the question is "is it worth the trouble" (eg, is there a net positive gain from doing so), and how complicated would it be, based on the existing code, as there is interaction between the different "modules".

But IMO, I think the balancing engine could use a good deal of optimization here, and would benefit a lot from parallelization of tasks.  But that also adds complexity.