First-time setup scenario to keep files

adn34

Question

Hi,

I'm setting up a Plex mini-server in the upcoming days and will be buying Drivepool to manage the media files. I currently have a 6TB HDD (with around 2TB of free space) containing the media files in NTFS and plan to have two 6TB HDDs for file duplication to start.

I was wondering if there is a way to create the pool with a new disk, add the currently used (old) disk into the pool without losing the data on it, and then transferring said data (which will be in a hidden folder if I understand what I read correctly) into the pool, expanding the available size on the old HDD along as it is freed up from the data present in the hidden folder. Then ending with a 6TB pool duplicated between the two 6TB HDDs with my data on it. I want to do this to avoid having to buy a third HDD which I will have no use for currently, from my basic understanding it should be possible given the already populated drive has free space.

Apologies if there is already info on this particular usecase somewhere, I couldn't find anything specific.

3 answers to this question

Absolutely! 

You want to "seed" the drive, and we have a guide on how to do that:
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

Basically, it's moving the files into the pool's folder structure and remeasuring. 

You may need to reconfigure things in Plex (or change a drive letter).  But otherwise, that should cover what you need to do.