Cache Drive, and the limits of Transferable data?

Bowsa

Question

Hey guys, I'm finally filling in the VERY LAST drive space in my computer and got an SSD Drive for two purposes (to have more personal space for software), and a dedicated cache for the CloudDrive. My question is the following: when you're Transfering files to the "Cloud Drive" it's not immediately transferring it to this magical drive, but your defined cache drive... THEN uploading it. The problem with this for me is that it places limits on how much data I can transfer at a time.

I would like to set-and-forget some files and to do that I need a chunk of space for the transfer process in the first place. So for example, if I only have 150 GBS on my Main Drive Available, I can only transfer 150gbs of data at a time UNTIl it finishes uploading.

Would detaching, and re-attaching my drive but instead choosing a separate drive to alleviate this issue? That way I can have a dedicated Cache Drive, and be able to upload more than 150gbs of data at  at time.

6 answers to this question

It won't really limit your ability to upload larger amounts of data, it just throttles writes to the drive when the cache drive fills up. So if you have 150GB of local disk space on the cache drive, but you copy 200GB of data to it, the first roughly 145GB of data will copy at essentially full speed, as if you're just copying from one local drive to another, and then it will throttle the drive writes so that the last 55GB of data will slowly copy to the CloudDrive drive as chunks are uploaded from your local cache to the cloud provider. 

Long story short: it isn't a problem unless high speeds are a concern. As long as you're fine copying data at roughly the speed of your upload, it will work fine no matter how much data you're writing to the CloudDrive drive. 

23 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

The write throttling is based on the free space remaining on the drive.  So.... increase that, and it should help. 

That or switch to the fixed size/proportional cache type. 

Ok, I got a Dedicated 500GB NVME/SATA Drive to serve as a Cache for my Local DrivePool, and for my CloudDrive. That way I can set-and-forget transferring files without having to worry about throttling. My Upload speeds are 400-500 MBps with upload-verification on. It's higher without it on, but after losing 5TB of data... better safe than sorry.

Christopher. I have a 50GB Cache drive partition on a SSD. But I can only upload 22.5GB at a time before the throttling kicks in. Event if I switch to fixed size or proportional. Even after unpinning metadata and directories an cleaning the cache, I cannot copy more than 50% of the cache drive size. any suggestions?