CloudDrive Cache - SSD vs HDD

MandalorePatriot

Question

Hi everyone,

I looked around on the forum and searched the forum & Google but was not able to find an answer to this question. Which is better for CloudDrive, an SSD or HDD cache? SSD will usually provide better performance with lower space and an HDD will provide more space with lower performance. So what is more important for the cache, space or performance?

Thanks for reading! -MandalorePatriot

4 answers to this question

SSD. Disk usage for the cache, particularly with a larger drive, can be heavy. I always suggest an SSD cache drive. You'll definitely notice a significant impact. Aside from upload space, most drives don't need or generally benefit from a cache larger than 50-100GB or so. You'll definitely get diminishing returns with anything larger than that. So speed is far more important than size. 

3 hours ago, srcrist said:

SSD. Disk usage for the cache, particularly with a larger drive, can be heavy. I always suggest an SSD cache drive. You'll definitely notice a significant impact. Aside from upload space, most drives don't need or generally benefit from a cache larger than 50-100GB or so. You'll definitely get diminishing returns with anything larger than that. So speed is far more important than size. 

Thank you, I really appreciate your quick and informative answer!

On 3/30/2019 at 8:02 AM, MandalorePatriot said:

So what is more important for the cache, space or performance

That depends ENTIRELY on your use case.  It's not a question that others can really answer. 

But if performance is important, then the SSD is going to be the better choice for you. 

But if you're accessing a lot of data (reading and writing), then a hard drive may be a better option.

21 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

That depends ENTIRELY on your use case.  It's not a question that others can really answer. 

But if performance is important, then the SSD is going to be the better choice for you. 

But if you're accessing a lot of data (reading and writing), then a hard drive may be a better option.

For a homelab use, I can't really see reading and writing affecting the SSDs that much. I have an SSD that is being used for firewall/IPS logging and it's been in use every day for the past few years. No SMART errors and expected life is still at 99%. I can't really see more usage in a homelab than that.

In an enterprise environment, sure, lots of big databases and constant access/changes/etc.

I have a spare 500GB SSD I will be using for the CloudDrive and downloader cache. Thanks for the responses again everyone! -MandalorePatriot