no files in folders on client

robti

Question

Hi I deactivated drivepool and then did a clean install of whs 2011 and set up drivepool again and activated it. Now going into the network/server folder on the client with the 5 sub folders (music,pictures,documents,video and recorded tv ) the folders are empty, in the server folders in the dash board these are all empty and the drives in my computer are also empty but the drive pool shows all the files,any help on this ?

Thanks

10 answers to this question

So my guess is that with the clean install, the Dashboard has the standard shared folders back on the C:\ drive again. I think that if you move these to the Pool, then all of a sudden these will be fine again. Try it with one folder that you backed up somehow first (because although it is unlikely, I am not 100% sure moving a shared folder will not overwrite at the target location).

Also, you may want to reset NTFS permissions: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5510455

26 minutes ago, Umfriend said:

So my guess is that with the clean install, the Dashboard has the standard shared folders back on the C:\ drive again. I think that if you move these to the Pool, then all of a sudden these will be fine again. Try it with one folder that you backed up somehow first (because although it is unlikely, I am not 100% sure moving a shared folder will not overwrite at the target location).

Also, you may want to reset NTFS permissions: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5510455

Hi could you tell me how to do the first part of this, is it from the server desktop and how to do it ?

Thanks

So in the dashboard where you see the shared folders, IIRC, you select one and then in the options on the right of the dashboard ("Music Tasks"?) there is an option to Move the folder.

I'm on WSE2016 since end of December, used to rock WHS2011 but I can't precisely remember or make pics.

Edit: So you can do this from the Server desktop or from a client through the dashboard. Personally I always go through the desktop through RDP.

Thanks got there in the end by a different route as I couldn't find the options pane on the right. so I RDP into the server and went into file explorer and brought up the drives then into c:, then into the server folders and cut the folders and pasted them into the pool drive servers folder which replaced the ones in there. then in the dashboard the folder option reported missing folders so I clicked renew and it automatically filled the path as going to the pool drive rather than c:, so you were right on renewing it had defaulted to the c: drive.

Thanks

Thanks Christopher yes it still worked but it gave me an extra folders in the server folder ( 3 I think a client backup one and 2 with numbers as there name) on the client so I thought I had did it wrong and panicked so did a clean install again. But I now know for the future. 

Thanks