GDrive - Mounting as RAW this morning.

chrisde1982

Question

Hi there!

I've got a data issue this morning. Been using Cloud Drive for a little while now, and for some reason, after rebooting my instance this morning the google drive I use, through cloud drive is mounting as RAW and is unreadable. It was fine a few hours ago when Plex was running it's usual over night maintenance. 

Any ideas? I've tried everything I can think off and cannot access the contents of the drive. Although looking at the stats everything is still there. 

The worrying thing is when looking at the service log it's indicating volume corruption... is there anyway anybody can think of that could allow me to recover my data. It's a 2Tb volume. 

Thanks, 

Chris. 

On 5/21/2019 at 11:04 AM, Bowsa said:

How does a Virtual Volume even get damaged? It makes no sense to me. I had the drive running normally, no power outages, and upload verification was on.

So why does StableBit connecting 200 times (user-rate limit exceeded) cause a drive to even become RAW in the first place, what's the point of Upload Verification? In some software it can still detect the drive as NTFS, but it still makes no sense. It's a virtual drive reliant on Chunks (that should be safe due to upload verification). I detached the drive, and mounted it again, and the Drive was still RAW.

How do chunks even become RAW in the first place, it's like mounting the drive on another computer and it being raw too.

Because on March 13th Google had some sort of service disruption, and whatever their solution was to that problem appears to have modified some of the data on their service. So any drive that existed before March 13th appears to have some risk of having been corrupted. Nobody knows why, and Google obviously isn't talking about what they did. My best guess is that they rolled some amount of data back to a prior state, which would corrupt the drive if some chunks were a version from mid-February while others were a newer version from March--assuming the data was modified during that time. 

But ultimately nobody can answer this question. Nobody seems to know exactly what happened--except for Google. And they aren't talking about it. 

No amount of detaching and reattaching a drive, or changing the settings in CloudDrive, is going to change how the data exists on Google's severs or protect you from anything that Google does that might corrupt that data in the future. It's simply one of the risks of using cloud storage. All anyone here can do is tell you what steps can be taken to try and recover whatever data still exists. 

And "RAW" is just Windows' way of telling you that the file system is corrupt. RAW just means "I can't read this file system data correctly." Raw isn't actually a specific file system type. It's simply telling you that its broken. Why it's broken is something we don't seem to have a clear answer for. We just know nothing was broken before March 13th, and then people have had problems since. Drives that i have created since March 13th have also not had issues. 

2 hours ago, srcrist said:

Because on March 13th Google had some sort of service disruption, and whatever their solution was to that problem appears to have modified some of the data on their service. So any drive that existed before March 13th appears to have some risk of having been corrupted. Nobody knows why, and Google obviously isn't talking about what they did. My best guess is that they rolled some amount of data back to a prior state, which would corrupt the drive if some chunks were a version from mid-February while others were a newer version from March--assuming the data was modified during that time. 

But ultimately nobody can answer this question. Nobody seems to know exactly what happened--except for Google. And they aren't talking about it. 

No amount of detaching and reattaching a drive, or changing the settings in CloudDrive, is going to change how the data exists on Google's severs or protect you from anything that Google does that might corrupt that data in the future. It's simply one of the risks of using cloud storage. All anyone here can do is tell you what steps can be taken to try and recover whatever data still exists. 

And "RAW" is just Windows' way of telling you that the file system is corrupt. RAW just means "I can't read this file system data correctly." Raw isn't actually a specific file system type. It's simply telling you that its broken. Why it's broken is something we don't seem to have a clear answer for. We just know nothing was broken before March 13th, and then people have had problems since. Drives that i have created since March 13th have also not had issues. 

This happened this month, not in march

9 hours ago, Bowsa said:

This happened this month, not in march

When was the drive created? After March 13th?

My drive did not exhibit corruption for weeks afterwards, but it was still corrupted by the same outage.

The answer to your question remains, in any case, that the way a drive becomes corrupted when the data is verified is because the data is modified in place on Google's servers after the fact. That's how it happens, we just don't know exactly why. It obviously shouldn't happen. But I'm really not sure what can prevent it.

Hey so after the outage the other day i have 1 disk doing this to me -- but my issue, i'm trying to follow the advice earlier, i can't clear the cache.  I run the cmd countless times with the drive offline and pinning turned off, but the cache files never get deleted, they always persist.

Chkdsk doesn't work to repair the drive, and it's seen as RAW, and file recovery says no NTFS file system exists, so i'm hoping to use this other method to bring it back to life -- any thoughts/suggestions?

Sorry for the absence.

To clarify some things here.   

During the Google Drive outages, it looks like their failover is returning stale/out of date data.  Since it has a valid checksum, it's not corrupted, itself.  But it's no longer valid, and corrupts the file system.  

This ... is unusual, for a number of reasons, and we've only see this issue with Google Drive. Other providers have handled failover/outages in a way that hasn't caused this issue.  So, this issue is provider side, unexpected behavior. 

That said, we have a new beta version out that should better handle this situation, and prevent the corruption from happening in the future.  
http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/StableBit.CloudDrive_1.1.1.1114_x64_BETA.exe

* Improved chunk validation.
    - For indexed providers, if a valid but unexpected block (that was cryptographically signed by us) comes back from a 
      storage provider, do not accept the data and issue a warning stating that the data was corrupted at the storage provider.
    - When this happens, the block will be retried 3 times and if the problem continues your cloud drive will be force unmounted.
    - This prevents accepting data that is stale or out of order.

This does not fix existing disks, but should prevent this from happening in the future. 

Unfortunately, we're not 100% certain that this is the exact cause. and it won't be possible to test until another outage occurs.

On 6/12/2019 at 4:45 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Sorry for the absence.

To clarify some things here.   

During the Google Drive outages, it looks like their failover is returning stale/out of date data.  Since it has a valid checksum, it's not corrupted, itself.  But it's no longer valid, and corrupts the file system.  

This ... is unusual, for a number of reasons, and we've only see this issue with Google Drive. Other providers have handled failover/outages in a way that hasn't caused this issue.  So, this issue is provider side, unexpected behavior. 

That said, we have a new beta version out that should better handle this situation, and prevent the corruption from happening in the future.  
http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/StableBit.CloudDrive_1.1.1.1114_x64_BETA.exe

This does not fix existing disks, but should prevent this from happening in the future. 

Unfortunately, we're not 100% certain that this is the exact cause. and it won't be possible to test until another outage occurs.

Just noticed I have missing data again... and I’ve been on the duplication beta for weeks 

Could you open a ticket for this at https://stablebit.com/Contact ? 

Also, could you make sure you're on the latest beta versions of StableBit DrivePool and StableBit CloudDrive? 
http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/release/download/StableBit.CloudDrive_1.1.1.1165_x64_Release.exe

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.3.1008_x64_BETA.exe

And if this issue persists, is there something in specific that seems to be triggering it? Or is it just random?