10gb speeds using ssd cache?

TeleFragger

Question

Ok so I put this under ssd optimizer thread but thought I would do my own. 
I have 2 pools.. 

ssd pool - can copy a 20gb file @ 1GB/s roughly...

sata pool - can copy but drops to 100mb/s roughly...
added a 500gb SSD and ssd optimizer plugin and still cant seem to get it going right. I thought you copy to the "share" and it will copy to SSD first then out... well im getting maybe 10gb copied before the drop off...

just uploaded video and its not done processing yet.. but will soon..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144784186@N04/shares/L66tza

32486361057_c7b349e9dd_b.jpgstablebit by Jeffrey Riggs, on Flickr

13 answers to this question

I just ran into this with a pair of Aquantia 10g nics that I purchased.  It seems to be a different amount that I could copy depending on the SSD that I used.  Their support confirmed that after the SSD write cache was filled, it would drop to below gigabit speeds.  I setup a RAM drive and passed it through as an SSD to the SSD Optimizer and speeds consistently stay where they should be and dont drop off like I was experiencing.  

https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/  is the product I used and had to make sure I selected the option for Hard Disk Emulation

42 minutes ago, jellis413 said:

I just ran into this with a pair of Aquantia 10g nics that I purchased.  It seems to be a different amount that I could copy depending on the SSD that I used.  Their support confirmed that after the SSD write cache was filled, it would drop to below gigabit speeds.  I setup a RAM drive and passed it through as an SSD to the SSD Optimizer and speeds consistently stay where they should be and dont drop off like I was experiencing.  

https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/  is the product I used and had to make sure I selected the option for Hard Disk Emulation

thanks ill check it out.... 

I have the same problems with freenas..hah..

and they say they use ram (I have 64gb) and ssd for cache.. and it does a botch on the face...

ill give it a try and let you know. appreciate it

Yes, removed the SSD all together.  I did have to add some memory to my machine so I have 24gb dedicated to the SSD Optimizer (Xeon E3 v3 server board only supports 32gb total). If I have a file larger than that, then I just have send it to another shared location not in the pool and manually move it but 99% of the time the files are smaller.  I consistently transfer 750-850MB/s from my Windows workstation direct connected to 2016 server.

ok so I just gave a plethora of pieces a try.. freeware and paidware and only the one you mentioned worked with stablebit… 

• imDisk
  • Miray RAM Drive
  • StarWind Ram Disk
  • OSFMount
  • SoftPerfect RAM Disk - only one to work.

ok so it kinda stinks as my machine only has 32gb ram and I allocated 24gb. Copying to it, it started to work but it actually fell off way quicker than using my true SSD. Thought that was weird. I have another machine I almost built as my file server but chose to go freenas with that due to 64gb ecc ram but it has less drive bays. I needed many bays for my setup thus why I am running it on the i5 vs e5... oh well.. 

There is another that people like.. Primo RAM Disk... It too is seen by Stablebit; however, it requires a server version to run on my server 2019 and is $119... yeah but no thanks..

now if Stablebit added a ram disk to their setup.. that would be sweet!!!!! hint hint… hah

So I originally was going to go with PrimoCache to try and speed up my transfers on my network to the server.  My thought was that everything would go there and then it would just dump it to the appropriate drive.  I never thought about a pooling solution...maybe I am old school and like to individually manage the drives, who knows. 

Then I saw the price tag for server and decided against it (never even installed the trial) and started looking for SSD caching options (and even thought about scrapping the 10g all together and just be more patient when moving stuff around the network).  That is when I came across Drivepool and went down that road and then transfer started good and then went slower than gigabit.  Then Aquantia support recommended a RAMDisk to test the throughput and that is when I went on a quest to find a RAMdrive (and I did try multiple).

And yes, a RamCache from Stablebit that could be used in place of the SSD optimizer would be nice (another hint thrown in that direction).  Furthermore, an option to step the transfer...fill the ram cache to capacity and then go to SSD Optimizer if it is larger than ram cache and then balance to spindle in the background.

I doubt Stablebit would want to go the RamCache route because of the risk of any system failure causing the loss of (more) data (compared to SSD Cache or normal storage).

I don;t but I know there are people here that succesfully use the SSD Cache. And it really depends on what SSD you are using. If it is a SATA SSD then you would not expect the 10G to be saturated.

In any case, @TeleFragger (OP) does use duplication so he/you will need two SSDs for this to work.

I have it setup to move the data immediately from the SSD Cache.

My next plan is to get a NVMe drive and PCI-E adapter for the server and see if I can maintain the 10G speed.  My wife thinks I am crazy always taking apart machines and upgrading and experimenting with configs.  

19 hours ago, Umfriend said:

:D In a way I am lucky I only have a 1Gb network.

True but once you go 10gb... you will wonder what took you so long.. lol

I agree though.. i would copy files from my dslr and see eta.. then walk away. Now i copy and its done within a minute or two...

20 hours ago, jellis413 said:

I have it setup to move the data immediately from the SSD Cache.

My next plan is to get a NVMe drive and PCI-E adapter for the server and see if I can maintain the 10G speed.  My wife thinks I am crazy always taking apart machines and upgrading and experimenting with configs.  

Hmm i have an nvme adapter in my gaming rig and i should add one to my server... ill have to look into that too.

This post i put up was more of seeing if i can tweak things. Currently i am fine with low speeds to a few shares which is my sata pool and i keep my large iso files..software installs on my ssd pool.

I figure i can copy to a folder on the ssd pool then run robocopy to move them on a schedule.. then who cares how long... thats my next thing to set.

Technology is changing all the time. Was reading wd blue drives are cheap and way faster than ssd. Just saw a 1tb wd blue for $119... get a quad card with 4 in a pool... good to go for fast needs and only takes up a pcie slot...