Google Corruption

Tuta

Question

All,

I have a 16TB encrypted drive on Google.  At sometime, over the past week, folders have gotten corrupted and are no longer accessible to me.

Some remain viewable/explorable.

I have attempted to run chkdsk to hopefully repair whatever issue there might be, but the process hangs at the same point each time I attempt.

Are there any other suggestions to try and regain access to the data and folder structure?

(Although the data is replaceable, it does amount to a not-insignificant time-sink for me to recover from other places.)

Thanks for any help!

9 answers to this question

I will kick another session off right now and let it run overnight if need be.

I did notice while viewing drive in windows explorer that the it shows as completely full 15.9 TB used -- almost nothing free.  I don't remember that from the last few days...  I reviewed the size reported through Google, and it still reports just the 8 TB that I recall as being used previous to all this.

thank you!

Update: -- still in process after 11 hours.  Number of index entries processed is getting higher, but it must be super slow going.  Glad I only have a 16TB drive.... can't imagine what anything larger would take to process!

Your file data is probably largely still intact. What it appears that people lost was their NTFS data itself--which is why so much is missing. The data is still on the disk, but the file system data required to access it was corrupted by google's outage. It isn't a problem with an easy fix, unfortunately. You'll have to try data recovery software to see if it can restore the files. 

Well this completely removed about 5TB of info.  Ok, it is what it is now, and I am not going to try to match ever file to the filename.

Going Forward with Stable bit:

Do I used it, or do I not use it?

If I used it, what is a better method, possible different format???

Any advice?