Can't recommend this product anymore.

Bowsa

Question

After losing more than 200 painstakingly created files due to the Google Drive Fiasco... I can't in good conscious recommended this software anymore.  I see no reports of Data Loss to the people who went the RClone route, but I do see multiple reports in this forum, mine included. I've lost more than a year's worth of data (in hours), time I don't to spare anymore, due to the way this application interacts with google drive. Newer folders showed up as "corrupted", while older files are gone in their entirety.

I did a CHKDSK, which did nothing and I'm just completely apathetic to the whole thing right now. I don't know If I want to invest all this time again to make myself whole once more, but I'd recommend staying away from this product if you value your data... and time.

4 answers to this question

I understand that it's frustrating to lose data, but I also don't think there is really any indication that this incident was CloudDrive's fault. CloudDrive, like any other cloud-based storage solution, is at the mercy of the provider. If Google has issues, and they admitted that they did, CloudDrive can't compensate for them short of storing all of your content locally--which defeats the purpose. It very well may be the case that rClone users did not have problems, since rClone interacts with the API far less frequently than CloudDrive does. It also might simply be the case that rClone users had problems and haven't noticed, because rClone doesn't create an actual filesystem that can be corrupted. It's a lot easier to notice a problem when Windows simply stops reading your data than if you're missing chunks of data in particular files and simply haven't tried to read them. It should also be noted that CloudDrive also already has upload verification that can be turned on to prevent API and provider issues from causing problems--but most people do not use it, including myself, because Google tends to be so reliable. Maybe that's changing and we should all turn it on. 

In any case, though, you've been a little less than responsive with respect to diagnosing your problem. The last time you posted I asked if you had tried chkdsk, explained how to try it, and that was the last thing I heard. Here you say it did nothing. What does that mean? Chkdsk would do something when you tried to use it. Did you provide you an error? Did it say that it didn't find any problems? Did it try to correct the problems on the drive? Chkdsk isn't magic. It was a suggestion to see if your files were simply orphaned and could have their filesystem entries repaired. But, honestly, I don't even know if that's the problem because the amount of detail you've explained has been minimal. Another user had his filesystem itself corrupt and his disk was showing up RAW in disk management. Is that the case for you as well? It sounds to me like your case is different, and you simply lost files--which suggests that chkdsk should, theoretically, be of some use here. 

I had also suggested submitting a ticket and running the troubleshooter to submit the data to Stablebit for analysis. Did you do those things as well? 

Ultimately, though, if you're only talking about 200 files, your best option might simply be data recovery software like recuva, which can scan the raw data on the disk and rebuild lost files--as long as you haven't continued to write to the drive in an unhealthy state. Have you considered or tried any of those options? Unless Google simply up and deleted your data at random, there is no reason that older files should simply disappear. All of that data should still be on your drive. 

I'd be more than happy to try and help you, but you'll have to be responsive and detailed. But it also might be true that CloudDrive simply isn't the tool for you. Cloud storage has risks. And those are valid considerations for what you're trying to accomplish. CloudDrive has advantages over rClone with respect to drive performance and the ability to make changes in the cloud, but those advantages come with the risks associated with storing an actual drive image in the cloud, as opposed to simply uploading one file at a time. Nobody, in the end, can decide what your risk tolerance is other than you. I, personally, would not store anything on any cloud solution that is important and irreplaceable without a local mirror--rClone, CloudDrive, or otherwise. I think it works wonderfully for a media library and other similarly impersonal and replaceable files, but I, personally, would never use it for, say, family photographs or important documents. I just don't have the risk tolerance for that. 

I too had the same issue which I was lucky to resolve.

I had 5 10TB cloud drives in a pool all on separate google accounts.

1/5 mounted RAW I was lucky I had this mirroring to a separate account, I removed the faulty drive and did a sync back to the pool for any of the missing files from the backup, which got me up and running.

This could have been far worse, I was thinking if I left the backup in READ ONLY that could potentially minimise the damage should this happen.

We dont really plan for the failure to be caused by the provider itself.

I appreciate the response, and although I’ve been sparse on details, after the process completed no recovery of my files took place. 

I’ve since deleted my drive, and will probably go the physical drive route unless someone has success here backing up their CloudDrive data?