Cache Rest / Cleared

stabletron

Question

Hello,

I am new to stablebit and I am using a trial currently with gdrive. So far I very much like the product and intend on purchasing a couple licenses, however I'm starting to see some 'issues' from time to time. Currently, in my limited use, the best one I can describe is an issue with the cache. I currently have a 300GB cache in place for my gdrive disk - the gdrive is now up to 1TB. I have noticed now on two occasions that the cache has reset/cleared itself and now I'm starting over again with the cache. It would see like this is not normal behavior, I would assume the cache would remain indefinitely or until it is rolled by another set of data that is more frequently accessed but not cleared and start over. Am I missing something? Is this normal behavior?

5 answers to this question

What sort of cache are you using, and what are you doing with the drive when this happens? 

Based on your description I am sort of wondering if what you're seeing is the expandable cache growing to accommodate new written data, and then simply uploading that data to the cloud. 

That being said, the short answer is simply "no." That isn't normal behavior for the cache. It shouldn't even be possible based on how the CloudDrive system operates. If your cache simply disappeared, you should have severe drive corruption. So it's likely that something else is going on here if your drive is still operational. 

I am using the expandable cache. The size is set for 300GB.

I use the drive for torrents so I am seeding and saving to the clouddrive.

During these instances, I'd see the local cache full at 300GB, then if I start downloading a file, the to upload grows so the total cache might get up to 320GB and then work its way back down to 300GB once the upload has completed.

What I have experienced is when these transactions are going on, at some point the local cache resets and only has the upload data remaining and maybe a couple of gigs, probably the data that has started to upload being cached back locally?

I haven't caught it right as it happened but that last time, yesterday I noticed it shortly after all of this happened because the local cache was very low, like 1GB and then slow grew back, currently I'm still not hitting the max 300GB, I'm sitting at 218GB local.

31 minutes ago, stabletron said:

I haven't caught it right as it happened but that last time, yesterday I noticed it shortly after all of this happened because the local cache was very low, like 1GB and then slow grew back, currently I'm still not hitting the max 300GB, I'm sitting at 218GB local.

To be clear: the drive is still functioning when this happens, correct? You're not having any trouble accessing the data?

If everything is still working at all, I don't think you're losing data. I couldn't tell you what's going on, as I've never seen that. But if was *actually* dropping all of the data from the cache spontaneously, it would be catastrophic for the drive. So whatever is going on isn't that. So that's good. I'd say just keep an eye on it for a bit and see if it keeps happening. How long has this been going on?