Data corrupted..?

Bowsa

Question

I haven’t done anything to my drives, but I know there was a problem google last night. I saw the software threw a few problems and dismounted and remounted... but finally a few files are lost and now I have to go through the trouble of doing it again. 

Any solution in sight?

10 answers to this question

Based on this and the other post from this afternoon, it's looking like Google may have actually lost some data during their service disruption last night. If that is, in fact, the case, there really isn't anything that can be done. CloudDrive is, of course, built on top of the provider's service, and if the provider loses data, or erroneously reports success when there was actually failure, there isn't really anything that anyone can do about it. I would submit a ticket and a troubleshooter though, in any case. 

On 3/15/2019 at 11:19 AM, srcrist said:

Just use chkdsk /f on the drive letter or volume. If it needs to take the drive offline it will ask you. You can use the /X switch if you know that it needs to dismount for sure. 

Running Chkdsk /f and I lost  over 95% of my data, 6TB or so

3 hours ago, LicQuyd said:

Running Chkdsk /f and I lost  over 95% of my data, 6TB or so

The volume is repaired and healthy though? It's normal for chkdsk to discard data to repair corruption if it has to. 

The next step would then be data recovery software to try and recover the lost files. Look into Recuva. It's a free tool that can do exactly that. It will take the time to search the data on the disk, recreate the files, and place them into the now healthy file system. 

Right. That is how chkdsk works. It repairs the corrupted volume information and will discard entries if it needs to. Now you have a healthy volume, but you need to recover the files if you can. That is a separate process. 

It's important to understand how your file system works if you're going to be managing terabytes of data in the cloud. 

The alternative would have been operating with an unhealthy volume and continuing to corrupt data every time you wrote to the drive. 

Here is some additional information that may help you: https://www.minitool.com/data-recovery/recover-data-after-chkdsk.html