All Drives shown as RAW, all drives are GDrive cloud drives

Gandalf15

Question

Gday

As we all know last night was a issue with Gdrive around the globe. Well since then it is back, but all my drives are shown in clouddrive as normal (I see how much space is used, how much free etc), in windows explorer they all have a driveletter but are not shown with the bar of how much is taken or free. When I click on them, windows asks me to format them. In drive manager they are shown as Raw.

All 3 drives are on a different gdrive account. What are the odds that 3 drives are hit bysuch a problem at once?

Anyone can help me? If all 3 are borken now, I lost all my data (yes it was duplicated, 3 times around all those drives....). Can someone help me?

Cheers!

Edit: what I tried so far: Reattaching one drive. Did not help. Detach and reattach, did also not help, still shown as raw. chkdsk /f says "not enough space" but finds lots of errors. I take every advice that could solve it. For me it looks like stablebit did something wrong. It started with the outtake of Gdrive, but the chunks and everything are there in the cloud... Please, I am pretty close to a meltdown if everything is gone...

Since I had the same issue today again - thank fully only 1 of the 2 drives I used to duplicate, I deleted the raw drive. 25 TB to upload again.

This time I go with nested pool drive. I created 5 10TB drives, added them into a pooldrive (without duplication) and added this pooldrive to the other working (old) pooldrive. It started now to duplicate the stuff. I hope this problem wont come every 2 to 3 months, like this its almost useless to use stablebit....

1 hour ago, Gandalf15 said:

Since I had the same issue today again - thank fully only 1 of the 2 drives I used to duplicate, I deleted the raw drive. 25 TB to upload again.

This time I go with nested pool drive. I created 5 10TB drives, added them into a pooldrive (without duplication) and added this pooldrive to the other working (old) pooldrive. It started now to duplicate the stuff. I hope this problem wont come every 2 to 3 months, like this its almost useless to use stablebit....

The issue is when Google Drive have outages. Then data gets corrupt. 

1 minute ago, steffenmand said:

The issue is when Google Drive have outages. Then data gets corrupt. 

I know. But if everytime an outage happens and you lose everything, then there is no point in using the software or I am wrong?
Cant something like a killswitch be implemented to not miss up the drive when an outtage happens?

This time I was lucky and had a 2nd drive not affected, last time I lost 3 drives and everything. I was basicly lucky that just 1 drive of the 2 was destroyed. This doesnt happen with rclone for example (I know both tools work different).

I was told upload verification solves the problem, but it didnt. It was pure luck that 1 drive that had the data duplicated didnt fail...

19 minutes ago, Gandalf15 said:

I know. But if everytime an outage happens and you lose everything, then there is no point in using the software or I am wrong?
Cant something like a killswitch be implemented to not miss up the drive when an outtage happens?

This time I was lucky and had a 2nd drive not affected, last time I lost 3 drives and everything. I was basicly lucky that just 1 drive of the 2 was destroyed. This doesnt happen with rclone for example (I know both tools work different).

I was told upload verification solves the problem, but it didnt. It was pure luck that 1 drive that had the data duplicated didnt fail...

Im also a bit in the blank as to how it can happen - but i guess it must be google throwing wrong messages back or something.

Usually i can get mine fixed with chkdsk /f - however all my new drives seem to get an error so chkdsk doesn't work :D

My ReFS drives never had any issues though - so maybe thats the way to go

So am I to take it there is no solution to the RAW disk problem? I lost 20 TB then. I'm not sure how this is Google's issue if nothing else on the drive is affected. Seems like a software issue. I had two different volumes on two different accounts as well for redundancy. Both of them came up RAW. I'm very glad I kept important personal data local and didn't move it to a CloudDrive. Time to switch platforms.

It is not lost. You can try chkdsk or and data recovery. I feel you it was the same for me the first time (2 accounts both killed). This time at least I was lucky and it only hit 1 somehow...

I feel like its not worth it and I may just switch to rclone, since rclone doesnt have this problems as far as I know. I dont know if it is software or cloud problem - somehow outtakes kill the file system on cloud drives. With the chunks being local I also dont see how this is possible. I would love to hear some of the Coders here what they say to this problem.

On 6/3/2019 at 2:06 PM, Gandalf15 said:

It is not lost. You can try chkdsk or and data recovery. I feel you it was the same for me the first time (2 accounts both killed). This time at least I was lucky and it only hit 1 somehow...

I feel like its not worth it and I may just switch to rclone, since rclone doesnt have this problems as far as I know. I dont know if it is software or cloud problem - somehow outtakes kill the file system on cloud drives. With the chunks being local I also dont see how this is possible. I would love to hear some of the Coders here what they say to this problem.

What data recovery are people using?  Recuva says no NTFS partition on my disk, i'm trying TestDisk now but it doesn't seem to find the lost partition either...

23 hours ago, slim94 said:

What data recovery are people using?  Recuva says no NTFS partition on my disk, i'm trying TestDisk now but it doesn't seem to find the lost partition either...

Think you got the samme issue that i get on all new drives... the ntfs is formatted wrong and the partition volume cant be read correctly. Thus neither chkdsk, testdrive or anything else can read it!

Just now, steffenmand said:

Think you got the samme issue that i get on all new drives... the ntfs is formatted wrong and the partition volume cant be read correctly. Thus neither chkdsk, testdrive or anything else can read it!

GetdataBack Simple is working for me -- i could get a dir list at least and see the files.  It's gonna take days til i'm done the deep scan, but i hope i can recover most things.

Sorry for the absence.

To clarify some things here.   

During the Google Drive outages, it looks like their failover is returning stale/out of date data.  Since it has a valid checksum, it's not corrupted, itself.  But it's no longer valid, and corrupts the file system.  

This ... is unusual, for a number of reasons, and we've only see this issue with Google Drive. Other providers have handled failover/outages in a way that hasn't caused this issue.  So, this issue is provider side, unexpected behavior. 

That said, we have a new beta version out that should better handle this situation, and prevent the corruption from happening in the future.  
http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/StableBit.CloudDrive_1.1.1.1114_x64_BETA.exe

* Improved chunk validation.
    - For indexed providers, if a valid but unexpected block (that was cryptographically signed by us) comes back from a 
      storage provider, do not accept the data and issue a warning stating that the data was corrupted at the storage provider.
    - When this happens, the block will be retried 3 times and if the problem continues your cloud drive will be force unmounted.
    - This prevents accepting data that is stale or out of order.

This does not fix existing disks, but should prevent this from happening in the future. 

Unfortunately, we're not 100% certain that this is the exact cause. and it won't be possible to test until another outage occurs.

18 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Sorry for the absence.

During the Google Drive outages, it looks like their failover is returning stale/out of date data.  Since it has a valid checksum, it's not corrupted, itself.  But it's no longer valid, and corrupts the file system.  

This ... is unusual, for a number of reasons, and we've only see this issue with Google Drive. Other providers have handled failover/outages in a way that hasn't caused this issue.  So, this issue is provider side, unexpected behavior. 

That said, we have a new beta version out that should better handle this situation, and prevent the corruption from happening in the future.  
http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/StableBit.CloudDrive_1.1.1.1114_x64_BETA.exe

This does not fix existing disks, but should prevent this from happening in the future. 

Unfortunately, we're not 100% certain that this is the exact cause. and it won't be possible to test until another outage occurs.

I think you are on the right track - my drives lost reference to the latest files! The drives that were not affected were those ones i didnt touch for a while

On 6/12/2019 at 10:48 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Sorry for the absence.

You should take care about StableBit.CloudDrive_1.1.1.1114_x64_BETA.exe

I installed this version on windows 10 may update and got like 15 bsod until i deleted everything from cloud drive. Settings, regedit, cache....

Stopping de service was causing BSOD, unistalling de version was causing BSOD....

I lost 400gb of cache that i had on my ssd.

On 6/12/2019 at 4:48 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

I just want to clarify this.

We cannot guarantee that cloud drive data loss will never happen again in the future. We ensure that StableBit CloudDrive is as reliable as possible by running it through a number of very thorough tests before every release, but ultimately a number of issues are beyond our control. First and foremost, the data itself is stored somewhere else, and there is always the change that it could get mangled. Hardware issues with your local cache drive, for example, could cause corruption as well.

That's why it is always a good idea to keep multiple copies of your important files, using StableBit DrivePool or some other means.

With the latest release (1.1.1.1128, now in BETA) we're adding a "Caution" message to all Google Drive cloud drives that should remind everyone to use caution when storing data on Google Drive. The latest release also includes cloud data duplication (more info: http://blog.covecube.com/2019/06/stablebit-clouddrive-1-1-1-1128-beta/) which you can enable for extra protection against future data loss or corruption.

GoogleDriveCaution.png

On 6/22/2019 at 2:47 AM, Alex said:

I just want to clarify this.

We cannot guarantee that cloud drive data loss will never happen again in the future. We ensure that StableBit CloudDrive is as reliable as possible by running it through a number of very thorough tests before every release, but ultimately a number of issues are beyond our control. First and foremost, the data itself is stored somewhere else, and there is always the change that it could get mangled. Hardware issues with your local cache drive, for example, could cause corruption as well.

That's why it is always a good idea to keep multiple copies of your important files, using StableBit DrivePool or some other means.

With the latest release (1.1.1.1128, now in BETA) we're adding a "Caution" message to all Google Drive cloud drives that should remind everyone to use caution when storing data on Google Drive. The latest release also includes cloud data duplication (more info: http://blog.covecube.com/2019/06/stablebit-clouddrive-1-1-1-1128-beta/) which you can enable for extra protection against future data loss or corruption.

GoogleDriveCaution.png

My disc only lost reference to the files - recovery programs could find them all. So i think your first fix shouldve solved it as im certain its because an old chunk with data indexing was retrieved! Nice with the data duplication though.

Quick question - does drivepool make it possible to "raid" different google drive accounts into 1 for less throttling and better speeds ? - If not this could be a nice request for either stablebit or drivepool as it could help in many ways also regarding data safety. So pretty much building a raid based on drive accounts :)

On 6/29/2019 at 11:06 AM, steffenmand said:

Quick question - does drivepool make it possible to "raid" different google drive accounts into 1 for less throttling and better speeds ? - If not this could be a nice request for either stablebit or drivepool as it could help in many ways also regarding data safety. So pretty much building a raid based on drive accounts :)

Yes and no.  It's not raid, it's a pool.  So, you won't get better speeds, really. 

As for the throttling, this is done per account.  So if it's the same account, it won't matter if it's separate drives.  And it may also be per IP address. 

9 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Yes and no.  It's not raid, it's a pool.  So, you won't get better speeds, really. 

As for the throttling, this is done per account.  So if it's the same account, it won't matter if it's separate drives.  And it may also be per IP address. 

No, but using multiple accounts you could in theory increase speeds, while also ensure stability by using multiple providers