How many hdds an evga 1600w t2 can support?

billis777

Question

It comes with cables that connect up to 14 hdds, can i connect more with splitters?

What is the safest amount of hdds per 6 pin sata psu port?

Also what cables you recommend getting to give me access to more hdds?

Evga has only 6 pin to 4 sata ports cables(times 3) and scaring people from using different brands.

To connect more than 14 hdds i will need to use 6 pin to 5 sata ports cables or more.

Can you guys recommend me some good cables for my psu so it can support the most hdds it can?

After manually updating the drivepool now that settings file is showing.

While updating all clicking of my hard drives stopped so i think it's drive pool that makes my hard drives click, i will wait now for my hard drives to click again before changing the bitlocker settings in hopes the newer version installed might be better on its own and dont have to make changes.

Always a good idea to at consider new versions of s/w & f/w & drivers & whatnot. :)

Yeah, whilst it's probably not necessary as (touch wood) everything's working fine, I spasmodically (every month or two) have a look at the changelogs for the betas - http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/ & http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWindows/beta/download/ (for the 2 things I use) - to see whether it looks to be worthwhile to move forward... …& it's easy to revert to the previous versions that I know worked were there to be any issue.

On youtube comments i read people making seagate hdds quite by installing newer firmware or special firmware provided by emailing seagate, people warn that there's a small risk bricking the hdd. So far no more clicking occurs but if it comes back and the bitlocker setting doesnt fix it permantly would you recommend updating the firmware?

What would be the safest way to do it? Do i need to be in safe mode etc?

The safest option would always be by booting into "safe mode with command prompt" & using a DOS/command line updater - however it depends how Seagate's s/w works; since it's reasonable to assume that the big manufacturers know what they're doing...

...though, if it's using something generic to unofficial update, I would only recommend going for the DOS/Command Prompt version.

(I'm not saying that using unofficial s/w in Windows will go wrong of course, so I have flashed GFX cards in Windows a couple of times - but that was obviously me making a calculated risk about my own kit; not what I'd publicly recommend to anyone else.)

So, taking my Samsung SSDs as an example, the update s/w is Windows based & so that's what I'd use... …& the same for CD/DVD/BR drives... …& for my LSI card... …&..

...whereas for something like unofficially updating individual OROMs on motherboards then I would always go for the command prompt option - or, with unofficial BIOSes, via the flash within the BIOS/UFEI.

Then, with something like unofficially flashing HDDs or SSDs, I would personally pull all of the drives other than a single drive that I was looking to update (& a USB drive or DVD/BR drive for a disk with the s/w on of course) & connect it directly to the motherboard - as it limits the potential for things to go horrendously wrong.

I'm very unlucky with electronics, when an hdd of mine died and tried to recover files, windows 10 told me falsely that i need to initialize two hdds and i lost data on 3 hdds while i tried to recover data from one lol.

It's been over 24 hours and none of my hdds have clicked after the drivepool update, i'm excited i think it worked!

5 days now and no more clicking, my hdds werent clicking also prior to installing the highpoint card and its drivers. Maybe they did something to drivepool the update fixed.

By the way pocketdemon do you know how to make stablebit scanner display the hdd's 8 digit identification number?

It did it on its own when it spotted a bad hdd but dont know how to make it display it on other hdds.

On 4/28/2019 at 5:34 AM, billis777 said:

5 days now and no more clicking, my hdds werent clicking also prior to installing the highpoint card and its drivers. Maybe they did something to drivepool the update fixed.

By the way pocketdemon do you know how to make stablebit scanner display the hdd's 8 digit identification number?

It did it on its own when it spotted a bad hdd but dont know how to make it display it on other hdds.

Do you mean the BitFlock ID? 

If so, that's in the SMART details for any drive, at the bottom of the window.  But that's only available to support. 

If you mean the disk's serial number, that's under "disk details" for the drive. 

Seagate recovery service just returned an hdd to me with all my files recovered which hdd was locked with a password. After unlocking it, i cannot access it, it says

"is not accesible, access denied"

and i try right now the chkdsk x r f method but it gets stuck at 47%

is there any other way to fix this?

The only thought I have is to ask if you've tried connecting it to a standard SATA port rather than the HBA card?

Well, I know that I can pull SATA drives from my LSI card & they'll work on either an onboard Intel SATA controller (I've simply not tried AMD or SIL or whatever controller, so I'm not saying that they wouldn't work) or a random USB dock...

…& it 'might' be the case that your Highpoint HBA writes something to the drive to identify it which Seagate's recovery service has screwed up.

[Edit]

Otherwise, it's really not ideal that you're having problems with the drives so quickly.

Okay, obviously any product will have a rate of infant mortality - since not all of the initial bathtub curve will be caught by internal testing - & I've had a very small number of WD & (in the dim & distant) Samsung HDDs either be DOA or fail completely within a matter of days over the years...

...however these have always been mechanical or controller failures - in which case you'd get a replacement - not the data vanishing & being recovered.

6 minutes ago, Umfriend said:

I am thinking it is a permissions issue. You might try http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5510455 on that drive.

I'm not saying you're wrong, as I've never had this happen with a DP drive & I read the description that the OP completely differently - however my experience of permission issues didn't make the data wholly inaccessible... ...just limited what can be done with it. 

The way to test this would be to assign a letter to the specific drive & see if the data can be accessed AND if there's any limitations on ownership of the files.

Then I suppose another option might be that DP is incompatible with whatever it's been protected with that needs a password - & so DP isn't picking the drive up on boot... ...which, again having assigned a letter (& checked the permissions), would be moving everything off -> formatting --> adding back into the pool ---> & copying everything back again.

They sent me an extenral usb hdd, i connected it to my pc using an external usb hub, do you think that might be the problem?

I had connected before many usb hdds to that hub before i got my highpoint card and never had this issue.

Now the chkdsk is at 98% i hope it fixes it, will let you know soon.

But yeah i'm so unlucky with hdds, one went bad back in september another 2 were erased by mistake thanks to microsoft's disk management falsely telling me that i needed to initialize 2 hdds. Was able to recover those 2 but on one i lost all names of my files. The bad one i sent to seagate to recover my files, i think they send me back a different hdd and now i got this problem.

By the way is there a way to remove the lock icon from the hdd they sent me? In case i get through the first problem that will be the next that i will need to fix.

Tbh, this sounds like it's nothing at all to do with DP, & instead is wholly an encryption problem.

Now I'm guessing that it 'may' have been encrypted with Bitlocker - as that's the default Windows thing...

(unless you were sent a USB drive with some bespoke s/w on or something)

...&, assuming that it is Bitlocker that's been used, the usual way to resolve this would be to go to Control Panel -> System and Security --> Bitlocker Drive Encryption...

…unlock the drive, using the key you've been given, & then try to access it again.

Then I can't talk to the reliability of your USB hub.

Well, I've had some which have been b useless for almost everything... ...some which will do all & everything... ...& a strange problem with a 4x switch hub for using devices with 2 machines, where sometimes either the keyboard or mouse won't connect... ...but switching back & forth again resolves it.

Otherwise, in terms of data recovery, the only thing that I've personally found to be decent is R-Studio (https://www.r-studio.com) - where, in the past, I've been able to, for example, connect half of a R10 array or total drives -1 of a R5 array or... ...on a completely different controller without, say, R5 support... ...& using non-OS native file systems... …& it's worked admirably.

Okay, it obviously won't recover from clusters that have been written over, if the data itself has been corrupted or if the drives have mechanically failed... ...but it's the best thing that I've found.

(more accurately, having found something that could handle any problems that I could reasonably expect it to, I stopped looking)

the chkdsk fixed the problem, i can access the drive now but lock icon is stuck in the unlocked position. i would like to remove it permanently if possible.

thanks for all the info pocketdemon!

ok just found it was locked with bitlocker, i'm turning it off now, this should do the trick.

Thank you guys!

It decrypted it as it was required before turning off, it took couple days.

Now i added it to the drivepool but the bar shows grey/other and doesnt become dark blue/unduplicated automatically like on other drives, is there a way to have drivepool scan it and turn it dark blue/unduplicated?

I also noticed on other drives i have 27gb of duplicated files, does that mean they are written more than once and if yes is there a way to have drive pool delete the duplicated ones safely?

I also use everything search to find folders i wanna view but it shows them splitted as drivepool has stored them on multiple drives. Is there a way to make everything search to show up whole folders and not splitted ones?

On 5/26/2019 at 2:53 PM, billis777 said:

I also noticed on other drives i have 27gb of duplicated files, does that mean they are written more than once and if yes is there a way to have drive pool delete the duplicated ones safely?

Yes.  And it should handle that automatically, actually.