Drive Removal takes...for...ever!?!?

thepregnantgod

Question

I've been trying to remove a drive for days now.  It's stuck on 92.3% and I don't want to reboot because it'll have to start over.

If I just hard remove it, then I have to copy over nearly 8TB of data and wait for Explorer to tell me that most of it is already on the drive...

Any ideas on how to expedite this?

6 answers to this question

1. Yes, I have duplication.

2. It starts over, I believe, because it has to go through all the contents on that disk and compare it against the contents on 39 other 3-10TB disks (all green so not super speedy).

3. And if I simply remove the disk myself without using Drivepool, then I have 2 million files on it that have to be compared anyway manually by copying them back to the main pool and then telling windows to skip those that have the same name/size.  Tedious.

OK. Now I am not sure but... If you shut down, physically remove the bad HDD and power up, then I think DP would complain about a missing disk. If you then remove it through the UI it should be instantaneous. Then a re-measure would show that some files are not duplicated and DP would correct that by itself.

Failing that self-repair, you might want to look at robocopy. I am pretty sure it has a parameter that ensures the files on the destination will not be overwritten.

Yep, that's how it would work but things get a little more complicated likely because of my setup and individual experiences.

I have 40 drives (previously all in one pool).  The idea is that with everything triple duplicated, I could lose up to two drives at once and still have one copy of all my data.  But...sometimes my drives will throw up errors and then go missing?  I pull up Disk Management, the drive is there, so I add a letter, use Treesize to find the files that are somehow so hidden that Windows Explorer won't even show them with the Hidden Files toggled.  

Treefile size shows giant directories under found.000 and found.001 which are created by chkdsk automatically.  The metadata showing it as a Pooled drive is gone or corrupted and most (fingers crossed) of my data is contained in haphazardly organized folders because they never seem to have the same folder heirarchy after this.  Now my pool is jacked and I have to go through manually and rebuild.  (I'm doing this now but have decided to break them into 2 x 20 pools so ideally it'll go faster).

Point is, perhaps I don't trust the duplication or when it takes more than a day to remove a drive, it would take me 40 days to rebuild my pool.  Maybe I'm just impatient.

If I could find a way to stop having my drives randomly throw errors that cause chkdsk to jack everything...

Hi I had the same problem and after a search on here it was recommended that you go into Drivepool settings and change duplication settings and just let the program rebalance and it removes files from the drive and when empty run remove disk and it worked for me, sorry can5 find the post now