Lots of questions for Google Drive creation, Plex and torrents

gameinn

Question

I've been using the free trial for 30 days getting used to StableBit because it's the only Windows based solution I have found. It's honestly been really great so far.

I am however looking for guidance on setting it up for Plex family members and then streaming files with MPC and madVR on my local machine. The reason I ask is because it appears some configs like the storage chunk size cannot be modified after drive creation so I want to ensure it's done properly without any regrets.

1HpkNLA.png

This is the drive creation page. I'm just using a 15GB free GDrive account right now to ensure it all works before I invest in a paid GSuite plan. Assuming I have 60 download and 15 upload, what settings should I be using?

Drive size: Whatever I want. Let's say 10TB?

Local cache: Should be around 5GB or so? The thing is I like to know how fast the data is actually being pulled from google and not rely on cache for testing which has been hard. Constantly having to click "clear local cache".

Cache type: Always expandable

Full drive encryption: Tick this and save the key in a safe place

Sector size: Seems fine to always use 4.00 KB

Storage chunk size: Largest is the best so 20.0 MB?

Chunk cache size can be set to Off but 100 MB seems like the one to use?

Cluster size: Change it from Windows default?

Now that's part 1 done. The I/O stuff is also really confusing me. This is what I've been using and videos load in 4-5 seconds which is perfectly fine for me but if I can get it faster, let me know: rWj9uQv.png

Lastly, what do I do with torrents? Is it theoretically "checksum" safe to point torrent downloads direct to the CloudDrive or to ensure no corrupt torrent blocks or whatever, I should be writing the files to my local disk first then copying over?

3 answers to this question

I try to be helpful but this question is simply getting exhausting. Not to be rude by please use the search function to find previous answers to your questions about recommended settings for plex. This question is asked almost every week. Beyond that:

Local cache: Should be around 5GB or so? The thing is I like to know how fast the data is actually being pulled from google and not rely on cache for testing which has been hard. Constantly having to click "clear local cache".

Stop doing this. CloudDrive does not have a mode that is not completely dependent on the cache. Because of how CloudDrive works, it must read and write data from the cache. You're only slowing down the entire process by constantly clearing it. The speed that the data is being pulled from your provider is clearly shown in the UI, and isn't really meaningful with respect to how quickly the drive will operate in actual practice. CloudDrive is more than capable of saturating a 60mbps connection when pulling data from Google, if it needs to. 

Lastly, what do I do with torrents? Is it theoretically "checksum" safe to point torrent downloads direct to the CloudDrive or to ensure no corrupt torrent blocks or whatever, I should be writing the files to my local disk first then copying over?

Torrents are fine. There is no file corruption from using CloudDrive, for torrents or otherwise. The data is written to the cache drive the same way. Your biggest limitation will simply be your 60mbps connection. For the sake of avoiding constant saturation, I would probably avoid pointing a torrent client directly at the drive. Streaming video will already be using 10-25mbps, and that's not including any overhead or other disk functions. If you plan on doing anything else with your internet connection, you probably don't want a torrent client constantly pulling random chunks off of the CloudDrive volume.

3 hours ago, gameinn said:

The start of your reply was pretty condescending.

It was intended to be somewhat abrupt. There are quite literally 3 other threads answering your questions on the front page right now. All of which I have spent my time to respond to.

I'm pretty sure that a normal person with an average internet connection should not be using those settings at all and they should be tweaked

This is not accurate. Nothing in the existing threads would suggest this to be true if you had read through them.With the exception of the prefetcher settings, the variance of which is also covered, nothing else really needs to change based on connection speed. Most of your questions weren't even related to this.

Also I'm super confused because if it's been asked every week like you state, why is there not a sticky with a tutorial explaining everything about it?

I would presume because these are not the Plex forums, and Covecube do not want to endorse this particular use of the product? Or simply because nobody has gotten around to it. To my knowledge, Plex also does not have a sticky about how to use CloudDrive. You could ask them the same question. I cannot, in any case, sticky threads. I can only answer them.

But yeah thanks for your input, I'll go ask somewhere else.

Okay. You do that. I certainly won't be providing you any more. 

The start of your reply was pretty condescending. Obviously I looked at other threads but these are literally not helpful in any way. The 3-4 threads I found all assume the person asking has a $5,000 PC and a godly 1000Mbps symmetrical connection, you can't dispute that. I'm no expert when it comes to hard drives and stuff like this but I'm pretty sure that a normal person with an average internet connection should not be using those settings at all and they should be tweaked which is all I wanted help with. Also I'm super confused because if it's been asked every week like you state, why is there not a sticky with a tutorial explaining everything about it? I think that would have saved lots of people time but maybe I'm wrong, so my humble apologies.

But yeah in my analysis, you seem like one of those people who has such a horrible real life, you have to make up for it online by making it out like you are some amazing high tier person who can "instruct" others but also give out sly digs at others but mask it with "pertinent" info to make yourself feel better and superior. Not being rude at all with that comment btw. :)

But yeah thanks for your input, I'll go ask somewhere else.

I'll also never be reading this thread again so don't bother replying. It's just simply too exhausting to help and read what other human beings have said.