Should I install SSD Optimizer?

dropshadow

Question

As a testament to how good this software is, I installed it 3 years ago, and only recently have had to delve back into it to replace drives that are going bad. Reading through the forums, I stumbled across the SSD Optimizer Plugin which I did not know about - figures since I didn't come to the forums in 3 years, ha! Drive Pool literally was "set it and forget it" for 3 years for me. Kudos to Stablebit.

Anyhow, I understand the idea of the SSD Optimizer Plugin well, I am wondering if this is something that I should install or whether there would be no significant benefit, for my specific scenario.

I am running a single 8 x 8 TB pool. I do not use file duplication. It's a media server and I am not worried about losing anything since I can replace it, I also use Scanner, and I backup the entire pool to cloud. Except the original write to the pool when I add files, there is not a whole lot of writing - again media server, just a lot of reading/streaming. When I do write, even large files (50+ gigs) I see max throughput on my network to the server, ~114 Mb/s constant during the entire write.

Based on this, do you guys think SSD Optimizer is needed? Would it help somewhere, or should I not install it and have "one less moving part?"

2 answers to this question