No option to hide drive

jpsoutlook

Question

Just upgraded my HP EX495 cpu/mem and os to WHS2011.   Been testing Drivepool and noticed that with system drive, there is always a C:/ partition and a D:/ partition.  when I add the D:/ partition to the drive pool there is no option to hide it.  When I add the other 3 drives the option to hide is available.  

I should see the following:

C:/ OS DRIVE

E:/ DRIVEPOOL

But this is what I see

C:/ OS DRIVE

D:/ when you click and open it has serverfolders but nothing in them even with most of D:/ being used

E:/ DRIVEPOOL

Why is there no option to hide D:/?  Is it because it's a partition on the system drive?  Can I just remove the drive letter?

I removed the drive from the pool after a lot of access denied errors, followed the wiki guide got it finally removed, went to re-add and noticed that in fact I had not overlooked the option, the option is not there.

Can anyone speak to this?

5 answers to this question

The reason we don't give the option to hide the drive is that the drive already exists, and we don't want to interfer with your system in a drastic way.

Additionally, if there are any system files on it (like shares, or the client backup database), then changing or removing the drive letter would be detrimental to the system, and could cause issue (at least temporarily).

And yes, you can manually change the drive letter, or even remove it. But we try to stay as "hands off" of your system as we can. But there is no issue with DrivePool and changing or removing Drive letters.

Also, I would recommend mounting the drives to folder paths. The reason is, that you can still access the disks (and run maintainance, like chkdsk, on them easily, but it cleans up "My Computer", so you don't have a whole bunch of drives listed there:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4822624

The reason we don't give the option to hide the drive is that the drive already exists, and we don't want to interfer with your system in a drastic way.

Additionally, if there are any system files on it (like shares, or the client backup database), then changing or removing the drive letter would be detrimental to the system, and could cause issue (at least temporarily).

And yes, you can manually change the drive letter, or even remove it. But we try to stay as "hands off" of your system as we can. But there is no issue with DrivePool and changing or removing Drive letters.

Also, I would recommend mounting the drives to folder paths. The reason is, that you can still access the disks (and run maintainance, like chkdsk, on them easily, but it cleans up "My Computer", so you don't have a whole bunch of drives listed there:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4822624

In a WHS 2011 install, it does not use the second D:/ partition, no files, it's free to be added to a drivepool.  Well I already added it to the drive pool, just removed the drive letter and rebooted. All seems to be fine.

Well, normally on WHS2011, it defaults the "Server Folders" to the D:\ drive. But I suspect that you've already moved the folders/shares off. 

If that is the case, then there should be no issues then.

Yes, after I added my 3 drives, I noticed the Server Folders were still on D:/ so I moved them all to the pool on E:/