DrivePool Balancing Taking Forever

waltwhitman6969

Question

Hi Guys,

New user here. Here's what I'm working with

(2) 5 TB Hard Drives

1 - 3.75 TB used of 4.55 TB

1 - 500 GB used of 4.55 TB

When I first made the pool, nothing balanced and I had turned off my computer after this

Upon turning my PC back on, automatic balancing started and now random files are getting placed onto the drive with more free space. And the percentage complete of the balancing is taking a looooooong time.   Basically .1 percent every 7-10 mins. 

Is this by design? Why didn't it balance when I first created the pool? Do I just have to wait for it which seems like it will take some time? What happens when I add a new drive? Same thing? 

Also, I have a large movies folder and for some reason it looks like it is moving the actual movie folder but also leaving an empty folder on the drive the movie was originally on.

Any help would be appreciated. I know this seems like a rant. Just new to it all really.

UPDATE

It finally finished. Took around 17 hours. :\

The issue with the movies folder still stands. Here's an example

Folder: Drive (2011) - Movie inside of this folder. Originally on Drive #1

When the balancer started running it copied this entire folder and moved it to Drive #2 but.......it left the folder Drive (2011) with no movie inside of it on Drive #1.

It did this to multiple other movies as well.

I'm assuming this is all by design but it's just super weird to have a wasted folder with nothing in it.

6 answers to this question

The balancing can take forever.  Even under ideal situations, it would be roughly 4 hours to transfer 1TB of data.  

And if the system is active, it can take much longer, as balancing cedes priority to other operations. 

As for the placement, that's normal.  It's so that the drives have roughly equal usage, over time. 

On 3/10/2019 at 2:23 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

The balancing can take forever.  Even under ideal situations, it would be roughly 4 hours to transfer 1TB of data.  

And if the system is active, it can take much longer, as balancing cedes priority to other operations. 

As for the placement, that's normal.  It's so that the drives have roughly equal usage, over time. 

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply. Do you know if it should be leaving an empty folder on the drive it moved stuff from? For example what I had in the original post.

Folder: Drive (2011) - Movie inside of this folder. Originally on Drive #1

When the balancer started running it copied this entire folder and moved it to Drive #2 but.......it left the folder Drive (2011) with no movie inside of it on Drive #1.

It did this to multiple other movies as well.

@Christopher (Drashna)   Hey Chris. Sorry to be reviving this old post but any recommendations on what people have done in the past for this situation? 

1. Is it OK to delete these empty folders now?

2. What have people done to find all of these empty folders so that they could delete them? Luckily, with the small amount of data that I have, it wouldn't be incredibly hard doing that manually but I'm sure someone who has loads of data may have this same question