New Home Server Questions regarding OS installation and Drivepool

HDRKC07

Question

I've been using Drivepool and Scanner for quite some time on an old Windows Quad Core Pentium system I built years ago.  The system finally started having issues and I finally was not able to boot into windows.  I decided it was time to either build another system or purchase one already done.  After searching around I decided to buy a Dell PowerEdge T30 with the Xeon E-1225v5 processor.  Got a good deal on President's Day sale so I was feeling pretty good.  I installed a Samsung Evo SSD 250GB for the Windows 10 OS drive.  Since this system only has room for 4-6 HDD's depending on setup I went initially with a 10TB WD 5400rpm drive and will use another WD 4TB drive that I currently own.  My current drivepool consists of 7 HDD's with approximately 9.6TB of data; mainly movies, TV show series and backup data from our home network.  I ran Plex Media Server on the old server and will do so on this new build.  I want to install Windows 10 on this Dell T30 which they don't support, but I've read where many people have done so with success.  My question is regarding whether to install using MBR or GPT formats.  I have always used MBR in the past and am not familiar with GPT.  If I install Windows 10 on this server using GPT with this have any affect on my data and are there any guidelines I need to follow on setup using GPT?   The server as stated previously will only be used for Plex and home computer backups.  Thanks for the help.

1 answer to this question

You should be fine using GPT.   It's a different partitioning style.  EFI systems need it for the boot drive (unless it has a legacy mode, and is enabled). 

It supports larger partition sizes (more than the 3.6TB limit of MBR), and is a bit more resilient, IIRC

All of our software supports GPT just fine.  And yes, you should use it.