Combine local and cloud storage without modifying cloud

triadcool

Question

I have data in Stablebit cloud drives that I would like to add to my local storage Drivepool.  I don't wan't the cloud drive data modified/balanced other than initially seeding the PoolPart folder of each cloud drive.  What would be the best way of accomplishing this?  Would creating a separate Pool for the Cloud Drive and Local Drives then using Hierarchical Pooling work best?

1. Local storage drivepool is constantly added to but no file duplication is needed.

2. Cloud storage shouldn't be balanced or added to as its sole purpose will be to read data that already exists on it.

3. Folder names will mostly be the same on both the local and cloud drives when creating the drivepool.

Any help with figuring out how to set this up would be appreciated.  Thanks.

2 answers to this question

I'm not sure that I understand your third condition, but effectively all of this can be accomplished by simply adjusting the balancer settings so that no new data is added to the CloudDrive volumes. You can, for example, use the file placement rules under your balancer settings to assign folders to one volume or another within the pool. As long as you check the "Never allow files to be placed on other disks" box, nothing you add to any folder that is NOT assigned to the CloudDrive volume will ever be placed on that volume by a balancing pass. If you want to be a little more creative, you can make a pool out of the CloudDrive volumes, simply disable balancing on that pool entirely, and then add that pool to your local drive pool and adjust the file placement settings that way, as well. 

Note that once you add the CloudDrive volumes to a pool, you'll need to move the existing data on those volumes to the hidden poolpart folder before they will actually be accessible within the pool. 

Does that help?

Best way? Depends on what you you need.

Simply adding the CloudDrive disk to the pool would work.  However, new data would likely be added to the cloudDrive disk. 

If you want duplication, then adding the existing pool and the clouddrive disk to a pool and seeing it would be the way to go.