Previous OneDrive data missing

TerryMundy

Question

Hi All,

Maybe I misunderstood how CloudDrive works.  I already have ExpanDrive and mounted the OneDrive for Business as drive Y:.  Everyone in the company can see the contents.  After installing CloudDrive it wanted me to create what seems to be a whole new drive, requested the size, then formatted it.  After doing so none of the previous OneDrive data is there, nor anything that is copied there can be seen by other employees using their OneDrive in File Explorer.

Can anyone shed light on what I did wrong?  I would like to trash ExpanDrive and configure CloudDrive to be drive Y: and allow everyone to see the contents regardless of what computer they access it from.

Am I asking for too much?

Thanks,

Terry Mundy

Independence, Missouri

3 answers to this question

Yeah, this is a fundamental confusion about how CloudDrive operates. CloudDrive is a block-based virtual drive solution, and not a convenient way to sync content with your cloud provider. ExpanDrive, NetDrive, rClone, and Google File Stream are all 1:1 file-based solutions, and all operate similarly to one another. CloudDrive is something else entirely, and will neither access nor make available native content on your provider. CloudDrive simply uses the cloud provider to store encrypted, obfuscated chunks of disk data. 

I actually think CloudDrive's strongest unique use case is the opposite of that. Because CloudDrive can uniquely support partial transfers and binary diffs, CloudDrive can create working drives that are hosted in the cloud that can be used to actively edit even large files without re-uploading the entire thing. The chunk-based nature of CloudDrive also makes it ideal for large amounts of smaller files, since it will upload uniform, obfuscated chunks regardless of the file sizes on the disk--thus reducing API load on the provider.

If you're just doing archival storage, uploading an entire file and letting it sit with something like rClone or NetDrive works just fine. But if you need to store files that you'll actively edit on a regular basis, or if you need to store a large volume of smaller files that get modified regularly, CloudDrive works best. 

I think another good way to think of it is that rClone and NetDrive and ExpanDrive and all of their cousins basically *compliment* what the cloud provider already does, while CloudDrive aims to make your cloud provider operate more similarly to a local drive--and with a fast enough connection, can basically replace one.