Put two existing Drivepools together with CloudDrive?

Tired Dad

Question

Hello, I have had Drivepool for about a year now and have just installed a second copy on another physical machine.  Each machine has ~12TB of data on it.  is it possible to use CloudDrive to put the two pools together if data already exists on each? 

I am thinking of creating a 1TB cloud on machine ONE, pointing it to a Windows share on machine TWO.   Then, I want to add the CloudDrive to to the pool on machine ONE... will that show me the existing data from TWO in the pool on ONE?  Can the clouddrive be smaller than the data on TWO?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

TD

6 answers to this question

I'm not totally sure that I understand the question. CloudDrive is a virtual drive application that lets you create a drive and store the data on a cloud provider. It doesn't interact with a pool in any way, other than being a drive that can be added to a pool. Once a CloudDrive drive is added to a pool, you can use it in any way that you could use any physical drive in your PC. It will always be blank until you copy or move data onto the drive via whatever mechanism you'd like to use to do so. 

5 hours ago, srcrist said:

I'm not totally sure that I understand the question. CloudDrive is a virtual drive application that lets you create a drive and store the data on a cloud provider. It doesn't interact with a pool in any way, other than being a drive that can be added to a pool. Once a CloudDrive drive is added to a pool, you can use it in any way that you could use any physical drive in your PC. It will always be blank until you copy or move data onto the drive via whatever mechanism you'd like to use to do so. 

This is what I did originally... take six disks and pool them together on a Windows 10 PC and called the drive "Bear", with a share called "cub" (names are made up here).  On another machine I have another six disks pooled together into a drive called "Horse".  On this same machine, I used CloudDrive to take the share "cub" and place it into a new virtual drive called "Eagle".  "Eagle" is then pooled as an additional drive on "Horse".

However, I cannot see the data from "cub" on "Horse".  New data, yes, but not the stuff that's already there.  i was hoping CloudDrive would be a way of pooling two DrivePools from two separate machines together AND see the data that already exists on both, but that does not seem to be the case.

I still think there might be some fundamental confusion about CloudDrive and how it operates here. What do you mean that you used CloudDrive to take a share and place it into a new virtual drive? I suspect that you might have created a CloudDrive volume on your network share, but that won't make any data that is *also* on your network share available to the CloudDrive volume. It simply stores the data for your volume on your network share. CloudDrive does not operate by accessing existing data from a location. It creates a drive image in a location and uses it to store the data that you copy or move to the CloudDrive volume. 

You could make a CloudDrive volume large enough to contain all of the data on your network share and then store the volume on your network share and move all of the data onto the CloudDrive and pool it together with other drives on "Horse" using DrivePool, but then that data will not be natively accessible on "Bear" anymore. Bear will simply contain the chunks of disk data for the CloudDrive. 

It sounds to me like you're looking for software to simply pool a network share together with your drives on the "Horse" machine, but neither CloudDrive nor DrivePool can accomplish this. You might be able to work some magic with something like iSCSI to make it work with DrivePool, but I'm not the one to help there. Maybe make a post asking over in the DrivePool forums and see if someone with more familiarity with those technologies can help you. 

Yeah, that's the extent of it... I saw a note on the DrivePool forum that you can use CloudDrive to pool two separate pools together, but the fundamental part I guess does not occur is for the existing data to be accessible at the get-go instead of having to transfer it into the new virtual drive.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

TD

Sure, no problem. To be clear, though: you can't use CloudDrive to interact with pools at all. You can use DrivePool to pool two different pools together, and you can use CloudDrive volumes in DrivePool pools, but DrivePool is the only software that interacts with pools in any way, and it requires direct access to the drives to form the pools. It can't use SMB. It *can*, however, use iSCSI. 

3 hours ago, srcrist said:

Sure, no problem. To be clear, though: you can't use CloudDrive to interact with pools at all. You can use DrivePool to pool two different pools together, and you can use CloudDrive volumes in DrivePool pools, but DrivePool is the only software that interacts with pools in any way, and it requires direct access to the drives to form the pools. It can't use SMB. It *can*, however, use iSCSI. 

You're right, sorry, it was a long day.  I had pooled one set of disks, then placed that into a virtual cloud drive, and then placed the cloud into a pool on the other machine.  However, the cloud drive would only use the empty space on the disks, not the pool.  C'est la vie.

I have iSCSI on my QNAP but it's only a four bay machine so I don't have physical room anyway.