DrivePool retired by Windows 2016

TerryMundy

Question

Hi All,

DrivePool has been my favorite for home and small office so much that I recently installed on a friends' business server.

Setup:

• HP DL380
  • Windows Server 2016 Standard
  • 8GB RAM
  • System partition x2 HP 250GB (RAID)
  • Data partition x4 Seagate 2TB (using DrivePool)

Brand new server installation from the ground up last night.  Within 5 minutes of logging into the server it crashes.  Event viewer lists only the following as the reason for crashing. "The IO operation at logical block address 0x21 for Disk 5 (PDO name: \Device\0000003f) was retried."

At this point I have no choice but to remove DrivePool until I solve the problem.  One drive is sufficient for now.  I'll write a script to mirror the data to the other drives before the backup runs.

Thanks,

Terry Mundy

3 answers to this question

Sorry, I failed to mention that Disk 5 is the DrivePool's created drive.  All of the physical drives that make up Disk 5 are all brand new and I used PassMark's BurnInTest for 24-27 hours before using them.

The error is when DrivePool combines the 4 disks to make Disk 5.  This has never happened to anyone from my research.  Murphy's Law.  Caught me again.

I'm just going to take this in stride.

Terry

This is pretty normal, actually.  Specifically, something is requesting the data from certain blocks on the drive.  Since no blocks of data actually exist, it errors out. 

As for the crashing, I suspect that this is unrelated.  But just in case, open a ticket at https://stablebit.com/Contact and then run the StableBit Troubleshooter:
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Troubleshooter