HDD sector errors, disconnect en copy content to new

Arunia

Question

I found not long ago that one of my drives was giving a sector error (Stablebit Scanner).
Bought a new drive for that one, but noticed another drive with errors. With a lot more errors. So I wanted to clone that drive to the new one, but somehow it does not work.
Currently I want to just copy the available content to the new drive (can't pool the drive due to not enough connectors and the defective one doesn't allow to be removed from the pool).

Is it possible to make drivepool think the drive is the "old" one and part of the pool?

If I try to clone the defective drive sector by sector it takes more then a 1000 hours, which is way to much to wait for it if it finishes at all.

I could not find an answer to the above question yet. Thus posting here and hoping someone could answer it for me. ;)

2 answers to this question

First, I'm sorry to hear about the disk issues, as that is never fun to deal with.

That said, StableBit DrivePool doesn't handle cloning well.  It causes issues for the software. 

However, you may be able to "fix" the issue by resetting the settings, or by doing this:
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_F1655

Thank you for your reply.

Currently I made an image from the faulty drive to a new one with ddrescue and adding a text to the bad sector area's. Currently in Windows looking for that text which works.

I have all the parts for my new server so I decided to just make a new pool and transfer all the files there.
Just after this need to find the the duplicate files on the other drives and copy those.