"Disk is missing" - 6 out of 10 after reboot

MrBlond

Question

I have 10 drives in my DrivePool.  I rebooted the PC and it came back up showing 6 disks as missing and they show as RAW in Disk Management.

What do you suggest to rectify this?  Thanks

image.png.22dd1996f52d2aa97f052d6857ad2818.pngimage.png.531781269948dfa485982a29e4692a58.png

EDIT: I have tried TestDisk and whilst I have not used it before, I believe I have done the basics correctly.  As a test I tried drive I: and TestDisk reported "Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damaged"

I have a horrible feeling I have lost 38TB of data.

Edited by MrBlond
Update

9 answers to this question

Hi, Thanks for your post.

I tried attaching one of the drives to another PC and got exactly the same issue.

They are attached to the main PC via USB to an 8-Bay caddy.

The reboot was via the usual method Shart -> Power -> Restart.

In the Event Logs I found multiple issues of the same type including:

• "A corruption was found in a file system index structure.  The file reference number is 0x1000000051ffe.  The name of the file is "\PoolPart.a25b119a-0f73-436b-82c3-25883cea4a66\Plex\Plex Media Server\Metadata\TV Shows\7\d3539c0ebe5120fce9f0ec4b0a3317c3da771ad.bundle\Contents\com.plexapp.agents.thetvdb\seasons\3\episodes".  The corrupted index attribute is ":$I30:$INDEX_ALLOCATION".
  • "A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume L:. The Master File Table (MFT) contains a corrupted file record.  The file reference number is 0x30000000009e8.  The name of the file is "<unable to determine file name>"."
  • "Volume E: (\Device\HarddiskVolume9) needs to be taken offline for a short time to perform a Spot Fix.  Please run "CHKDSK /SPOTFIX" locally via the command line, or run "REPAIR-VOLUME <drive:>" locally or remotely via PowerShell."

OK, so it is a bit scary to advise on this. Best may be to wait for Christopher. You could try to run a CHKDSK but as these won't have a drive letter I am not sure how.

To be honest, I fear that something went wrong, seriously wrong and it may have to do with the use of USB. I think Chris is no fan of USB for DP. I would guess that this is not really a DP issue but perhaps someone here can help. Probably best to not do anything at all until you had advice you trust.

They do have drive letters but CHKDSK does not work anyway.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>CHKDSK /SCAN E:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt.
Reading second NTFS boot sector instead.
The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt.
Reading second NTFS boot sector instead.

Windows has checked the file system and found problems.
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

No CHKDSK works in any form :-(

Not that worried now.  I want to see if it can be fixed but I have resigned myself to those disks being toast.

So if not USB (I have 3 caddy's and all the damaged disks are in the same one although the other disk in there is fine) then what is recommended.  I can't add the disks to the case as it is a Mini PC.

Yes I did try that but same error message.

I did have a HP Proliant at home for a while and that was useful but cost too much to run.  I am trying to keep costs down but with 12 disks I am not going to get them all in one case.  Even my sons massive gaming PC isn't big enough for those (and he wouldn't appreciate me filling it :D).

I am dumping the StarTech 8-Bay enclosure as I think it's a pile of ****.  I have some Orico enclosures I have been adding my new drives to so I am migrating the drives to those.

Following advice from Christopher I am trying data recovery using Recuva.  I will see how it goes with one of the smaller drives and move on from there.

The alternative is a large Synology NAS like the DiskStation DS1819+ but it's pretty expensive.  I use them for clients but cannot justify the expense for myself.

Thanks for your input.

Some here go rackmounted servers. And if an actual rack is an issue then there is always this https://wiki.eth0.nl/index.php/LackRack for fun :D.

I went with  http://www.lian-li.com/pc-a79/ and https://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=242 (well, I got a tray-version, silly me).

I can easily fit 11 3.5" HDD (5 of them swappable without opening the case). and 6 2.5" HDD/SSD. It is still quite a bit of money but at about 55% of that DiskStation perhaps not a bad deal.

Of course, I also had to get a IBM1015 + a small fan, another 60 bucks or so. And breakout cables, say another 50. But at a total of EUR 660 I was done. And I am sure there are (somewhat) cheaper alternatives to the case and cage. The Lian Li PC-D600 might be an alternative, especially if there is a way to add cages to the left side, never figured out if that is possible.

I recovered all my lost data.  It took a couple of weeks.  I restarted my server today and guess what, 4 disks missing and exactly the same issue as above.  Anyone have any ideas?  I am thinking of ditching the lot any buying myself a reliable Synology.