Partition nvme and use as 2 cache drives

broncosaddict

Question

The way caching currently works (at least how i understands it to work)

It is smart enough to not let you use 2 partitions on the same disk for duplication.  

How does one disable that smartness?  I want to partition my nvme and have drivepool use it as 2 cache drives for duplication.

The exposure for me is small and i understand i lose everything on the nvme drive if it goes bad because its not really duplicated. Data wont remain for more than a few hours at most, so the the exposure is acceptable to me. For me i would rather have the speed of nvme as my cache drive and the chance of loss is small and acceptable. 

Is there anyway to override the default behavior?

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

16 hours ago, broncosaddict said:

How does one disable that smartness?  I want to partition my nvme and have drivepool use it as 2 cache drives for duplication.

You can't.  You may be able to work around it, but you can't disable it. 

Otherwise, if that disk fails, everything on it is lost.  

2 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

You can't.  You may be able to work around it, but you can't disable it. 

Otherwise, if that disk fails, everything on it is lost.  

Im ok with losing anything on the drive.  Its only going to be new stuff that is easily replaced.  

Is there a way to force the cache to not do any duplication until moving files into the pool?

Umfriend, thanks for the idea.  I have not used (actual never heard of it :-) ) that type of pool.  I will do some reading on it and see what its all about.

23 hours ago, Umfriend said:

The only way I think this works is if you use hierarchical pools where the cache runs on each lower-level non-duplicated pool. To my surprise, someone claimed in another thread it works and it may well be.

Reading the docs and some users experiences (i think i found the one you were referring to) i think hierarchical pools are what i need to use and will do exactly what im trying to accomplish.  I will give it a shot in the next couple of days and report back the results.

Thank you both for your ideas and answers!!  Much appreciated.   I was hitting my head against the wall trying to find a solution.