Huge amount of data downloaded during the night

LicQuyd

Question

So I am using Stablebit with Plex/Emby and Google Drive

I am not sharing any connection and am was just watching low res vidoes during the evening.

I looked at my download usage during the night on the PC and it is HUGE

40 GB down per hour. for possible a 500 mb video

Does this seem normal?  I am nothing else running on this pc.

The 2 GB upload from this PC makes sense as it has to stream to my FireStick but the download is crazy.

image.thumb.png.e9d3bae7cccb04a128e4217598e7198d.png

1 answer to this question

Plex performs maintenance during downtime, and that maintenance can involve deep reads of entire files. Without looking at any more information, I would presume that is what is going on here. Check your plex settings. If you have options checked under "scheduled tasks" like "upgrade media analysis during maintenance" and "perform extensive media analysis during maintenance," those are the options that enable deep reads and analysis of media during scheduled tasks. The fact that it begins at 2am, which is the default start time for Plex's maintenance period, supports my assumption here. It may also be generating video preview and chapter thumbnails during that time as well, depending on your library settings. 

All in all, though, these things are not harmful unless you need to conserve your data usage. You're fine just letting Plex do its thing. It uses the media analysis to configure the streaming engine to be more efficient, and the thumbnail generation is used for aesthetic effects in the UI. 

If you do need to conserve your data, simply disable those options.