Cant remove old PoolPart folders

finchy70

Question

Hi,
My set up is WIndows 8.1 as a HomeServer and I purchased DrivePool to pool my shares from 3 drives (2TB,2TB, and 3TB).  I did this and all worked fine.  I then had issues I could not fix with Plex Media Server and had to reinstall WIndows.  On reinstalling DrivePool I noticed the PoolPart folders on each of my drives but know they weren't hidden as normal.  These are from the previous installation as adding files directly to these does not add the files to the DrivePool.
These folders when you open them look empty but take up over 4G.  When I try to delete them I get a message saying I need admin permission.  I am Admin and I've taken ownership of all drives too.  When I try to move the folders I either get an error about admin permission with regard to moving folder System Volume Information or the same about a folder called IndexerVolumeGuid.

Everything works ok but I want to delete these old folders. OCD I think.
I've even tried deleting them by booting a Live Linux usb but that refuses to mount the disks in question. Dont want to format as the disks have a lot of data and it would take forever to move it.

Please can someone tell me how to delete these folders.

Thanks Finchy

2 answers to this question

Fixed.  I disabled Show Hidden System Files in view so I could go into the Pool.Part folder and see the system volume information folder.  Take ownership of this by right clicking Properties > Security.  Then go into the system volume information folder as see the guid file.  take ownership of this and then you can delete.

Finchy

Yeah, the "System Volume Information" has some pretty draconic permissions setup to prevent access to it.

Taking ownership (and "replace child entries") usually does fix that.

And yes, if you removed the drive from the pool, and t here are files that were not removed, it will leave the visible "poolpart" folder, so you can "take care" of the remaining files.

But I'm glad that you got it sorted out.