Covecube Inc.
dismas

Is pool size limited by smallest drive when using duplication?

Question

Let's say I have a 3 TB pool consisting of a 1 TB drive and a 2 TB drive.

If I enable 2x duplication on the entire pool, I assume I can only store 1 TB in the pool since even though there's 3 TB available, because everything on the 2 TB drive must have a copy on the remaining drive, and thus is limited is 1 TB. Is this understanding correct?

What if I instead had a 3 TB pool consisting of 3x 1 TB drives - in this case, if I enable 2x duplication over the entire pool, is the usable space on the pool still limited to 1 TB? Or is DrivePool capable of spreading the files out across all 3 drives, leading to an effective storage capacity of 1.5 TB?

4 answers to this question

The latter so 1.5GB. As long as the largest HDD (LHD) is less then or equal to the total HDD (THD) size divided by the duplication factor (DF), the net available space (NAS) is THD / DF.

23 hours ago, Umfriend said:

The latter so 1.5GB. As long as the largest HDD (LHD) is less then or equal to the total HDD (THD) size divided by the duplication factor (DF), the net available space (NAS) is THD / DF.

Is there a formula to calculate NAS if LHD is NOT less than or equal to THD / DF?

Well then it would be the THD - LHD in case of x2 duplication. I am sure if I take a bit of time I can get to an actual general formula but it is rather simple and why bother.

Yes and no.

When added files to the pool, it does check the free space on each drive.  

However, it places files on the disk(s) with the most available free space.  So, you shouldn't run into issues with free space, at least not for a while.