Drivepool on Hyper-V Server 2019?

riahc3

Question

11 answers to this question

I posted a question in here recently and no reply either... so I'm not sure what gives...

wondering if it is a very small team and maybe they are on vacation.. haven't sprung into 2019 yet???

I am getting ready to be installing server 2019 with essentials role to replace my current server 2016 with essentials role... so I want to hear replies to your thread as well

15 minutes ago, TeleFragger said:

I posted a question in here recently and no reply either... so I'm not sure what gives...

wondering if it is a very small team and maybe they are on vacation.. haven't sprung into 2019 yet???

I am getting ready to be installing server 2019 with essentials role to replace my current server 2016 with essentials role... so I want to hear replies to your thread as well

Yeah, well, thats incredibly rude to do to potential customers and even past customers that have invested in the product.

If there was a alternative, I might even use that as Im receiving 0 replies

AFAIK, Stablebit is a small company and forum support may be out for a bit. Having said that, Hyper-V Server 2019, or any other 2019 Server, is not listed on https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Download so even though it may run (I suspect it will) it is not officially supported as such.

On Server 2019 with Essentials Role, there is no such thing. 2019 Essentials does not have the dashboard, anywhere access, client backups etc. at all. Basically, 2019 Essentials is a Foundation type edition. IMHO, it is worthless. Server 2019 does not come with the Essentials Experience / Role at all.

Covecube is, as far as I know, two people. And also as far as I know, the forums aren't an official support channel, though Christopher and Alex do respond here from time to time. If you have urgent questions you'd be better off submitting a support ticket, not complaining because other users aren't responding to you quickly enough in the discussion forum. You can find the contact form here: https://stablebit.com/Contact

11 hours ago, srcrist said:

Covecube is, as far as I know, two people. And also as far as I know, the forums aren't an official support channel, though Christopher and Alex do respond here from time to time. If you have urgent questions you'd be better off submitting a support ticket, not complaining because other users aren't responding to you quickly enough in the discussion forum. You can find the contact form here: https://stablebit.com/Contact

If they reply on there, that gives me the sensation and this is a official support forum.

I think it would be better to make a section for paying  members only support but....

Are you asking if DrivePool is compatible on a Hyper-V guest running on a Hyper-V host? If so, yes. I run it this way and it works fine, you just have to pass each disk individually and the guest OS (With DrivePool) sees it just fine. In fact, I went form a full physical setup on Server 2012 and Virtualized Server 2019 on Hyper-V, passed all the disks (Was a huge pain, not being able to pass thru controllers is a huge PITA, VMWare FTW here) and DrivePool picked up the entire pool (32 disks) within a minute or so and that was it.

Or are you asking if DrivePool is compatible with the Hyper-V Hypervisor itself (Either in Hyper-V Server or Server Core with the Hyper-V role) as in you want to pool drives inside the Hypervisor and present them as large disks to guests? I've tried this, and it DOES work, but it's not a good idea. DrivePool is not a traditional RAID technology can isn't well suited for large random writes, it's just not recommended. It's best to pass the disk individually and let DrivePool on the guest pool everything together.

On 1/31/2019 at 4:41 AM, Philmatic said:

Are you asking if DrivePool is compatible on a Hyper-V guest running on a Hyper-V host? If so, yes. I run it this way and it works fine, you just have to pass each disk individually and the guest OS (With DrivePool) sees it just fine. In fact, I went form a full physical setup on Server 2012 and Virtualized Server 2019 on Hyper-V, passed all the disks (Was a huge pain, not being able to pass thru controllers is a huge PITA, VMWare FTW here) and DrivePool picked up the entire pool (32 disks) within a minute or so and that was it.

Or are you asking if DrivePool is compatible with the Hyper-V Hypervisor itself (Either in Hyper-V Server or Server Core with the Hyper-V role) as in you want to pool drives inside the Hypervisor and present them as large disks to guests? I've tried this, and it DOES work, but it's not a good idea. DrivePool is not a traditional RAID technology can isn't well suited for large random writes, it's just not recommended. It's best to pass the disk individually and let DrivePool on the guest pool everything together.

Hi Philmatic, sorry for bumping an old thread,

I thought controller passthrough is possible already on server 2019?

https://www.reddit.com/r/HyperV/comments/bc3vvc/pcie_passthrough_possible_with_a_hba/

Have you tried it?

If it does passthrough the SMART status as well then it's probably the better method