Make sure free space stays above 1TB

PoolBoy

Question

I have a pool of 6 disks.
DrivePool can use 100% of 5 disks as it sees fit.

For the 6th disk I want to set some limitations.
Free space on that disk must be >1TB at all times
So, if the space of that disk drops below 1TB, DrivePool has to move and spread the excess files as it seems fit over the other 5 disks in the pool.
Only if the 5 disks are full DrivePool may use all space on the 6th disk as it seems fit.

The drivepool is duplicated (x2)
The 6th disk hold files that are backed up with regular software so need no duplication.
The 6th disk is way too large for what I keep on it so I want too put the excess space to good use, in my space hungry pool.

To avoid needless reshuffling it would be nice if the 6th disk is always treated as low priority to place files on. That way the 6th disk would act like an overflow buffer. If the 5 disks have sufficient space nothing is written to the 6th disk. Only when space gets low, the 6th disk is used.

Another good option would be setting a soft limit of 1.5TB on the 6th disk. DrivePool tries to keep 1.5TB free but if it drops below that but still above 1TB it doesn't panic and starts reshuffling like crazy.

While all files are duplicated, it may in theory be safest files are spread of as many disks as possible? Including the 6th disk. The speed of the pool isn't important. It's mostly cold storage.

That's my question and thoughts on it. But it's not set in stone. I'm open to idea's that accomplish the same as long as my 1TB demand is met.  The 1TB is very important for me.

2 answers to this question