Seagate archive 8tb hdd detected but with 0 capacity

billis777

Question

My hdd was lagging and freezing so i tried to restart my computer and it got stuck at restarting.

After i forced my pc to restart the hdd shows up in windows but with 0 capacity and i'm unable to scan it with data recovery softwares.

Can you guys help me by letting me know what's wrong with my hdd and how to fix it?

7 answers to this question

I tried to scan it with getdataback and easeus and both freeze when try to detect the hard drive. When i unplug the hdd the programs work fine.

I tried to connect it to another pc and scan it there and had the same problem.

I can see the drive letter of the hdd in my computer but cannot access it and shows capacity 0. Also if i try to restart my computer, my computer will not boot to windows until i unplug that hdd.

I just looked at the event viewer and couldnt find any DISK/ATAPI/IDE/NTFS errors.

I saw on youtube people changing the hdd board and getting it to work again but linus when he did it he was getting 0 capacity issue and had to open the hdd and replace parts.

I guess i'm out of luck for an easy fix.

I saw at seagate's site they charge over $600 for data recovery and that doesnt cover the cost of the replacing hdd.

Is seagate data recovery professionals my best option to recover my data or are there any others as good and cheaper professionals that can recover my data?

Found some guys from hd-parts charging $350 for data recovery but dont know if they're any good.

Unfortunately, I think this is a bad failure. :( 

I would recommend TestDisk, but most likely, it will have the same issues. 

Specifically, I think that some of the internal information for the drive has been corrupted.  And that would mean that the only options are RMA and lost data, or professional (expensive) data recovery services.