Easy way to identify disk by Volume?

thepregnantgod

Question

So, for whatever reason, I get corruption on a drive.  But as I have 46 drives, none with letters, and Windows can't repair unless there's a letter attached to it, I have to manually go through, add letters then check properties, scan and if it's the one, it'll list repairs.

Or I can go into Event viewer and find this below.  However, I can't easily identify the disk by this.  Anyone know a trick or program?

image.png.ecbabfb4162e424cd4291bc27d20fa40.png

3 answers to this question

Not the full answer but mount your drives to a folder (dont need to have letters) and the "path" to the disk is shown by DP)

Then IIRC you can then scan them in Windows - which version of windows are you using?

The volume guid is i think (part guess) of the pool rather than a particular disk as its talking about a volume

So, for future reference, I did take the following steps.

1. As Spider99 suggested, I mounted each disk to a folder on my C drive.  Now, in Event Viewer any NTFS drive errors show which volume (i.e. disk) so I can add a letter to it and then scan.

2. I'm still unable to simply scan within windows without actually adding a letter to it.  I've not tried using CMD/Diskpart then chkdsk volume because that's actually more tedious then just adding a letter and going to properties/scan.

Actually, you don't need a drive letter to repair the disk.

You should, in theory be able to run "chkdsk \\?\Volume{xxxx}" from a command prompt, and scan the drive. 

This is actually what StableBit Scanner basically does for the file system scans. 

https://superuser.com/a/656783