WHS2011 to 2012 R2 Essentials

DracUK

Question

Hi new Drivepool user here with a question please

HP N54L microserver with 1x250gb (WHS2011 o/s default drive) and 3x2TB Seagate drives used in other bays running latest version of DP, file duplication is enabled so the pool drive is last drive.

I would like to install Server2012 R2 Essentials as default o/s.If I just remove the 3x2TB drives and install 2012R2 Essentials and Drivepool to the 250GB drive can I just slot the 3x2TB drives back in after the install and 2012 will recover my pool.Is it that simple?

TIA

DracUK

3 answers to this question

Yes. That simple. :)

Specifically, I'd recommend disconnecting the drives, just in case (you never know).  Once the OS is installed, you can reconnect then and install DrivePool. Once DrivPool is installed and activated, it will immediately recognize the pooled disks and recreate the pool.

You may need to download the WSS Troubleshooter utility to "restore drivepool shares" though. 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Utilities

Well, I'm not exactly sure what to say to that.

If you hadn't noticed, one of our design tenants is simplicity. And we really do hope it shows.

Also, resiliency and recovery are aspects that are very important to us. Which is why migrating the pool is so simple. I'm not sure if you're familiar with WHSv1 and it's Drive Extender. It was a nightmare if you wanted to move to another system. We wanted to avoid that hassle and make the recovery as simple and as easy as possible. A benefit of that is that migrating the pool to another system is just as simple and easy.