How to allways have one local duprlicate and one cloud?

Tommy Vange

Question

Hello,

I have recently started using your DrivePool, CloudDrive and Scanner programs, and i absolutley love them. But I have ran into annissue now, I currently have one pool with 16.5TB of files (two 9tb drives), and I would like to mirror that pool to the cloud. I tried making another pool with only clouddrives in it, then making another master pool, and putting the local pool and the cloud pool in that pool, then turning on pool file duplication. But that doesn`t work, the main pool just shows Unduplicated = 88B, Duplicated = 88B, Other = 16.5TB, Unusable for duplication = 18.3TB. Why are all the files i want to duplicated marked as Other instead of Unduplicated, and how can i fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Tommy Vange

15 answers to this question

On the two HDDs, there are now two hidden poolpart.* folders, one within the other. What you would do is:
1. Stop DrivePool service
2. On each HDD itself, move the contents from one poolpart.* folder to the other
3. Start DrivePool service
4. Remeasure / Rebalance. I think this will start by itself.

The full howto from Stablebit is here: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

21 minutes ago, Umfriend said:

On the two HDDs, there are now two hidden poolpart.* folders, one within the other. What you would do is:
1. Stop DrivePool service
2. On each HDD itself, move the contents from one poolpart.* folder to the other
3. Start DrivePool service
4. Remeasure / Rebalance. I think this will start by itself.

The full howto from Stablebit is here: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

Thanks for the reply, but I dont undertand. Am i suposed to move all of the files from the PoolPart folder into the PoolPart file inside it. Or move everything into the PoolPart folder on the drive that stablebit creates?

I am guessing each individual HDD since thats what yo said, but only one of them even have a PoolPart folder inside the PoolPart folder the other one don`t.

As I understand it, you have:

Pool A: HDD1&HDD2 (physical)
Pool B: Clouddrives
Pool C: Pool A and Pool B.

Then on Pool HDD1 and HDD2, you should have a Poolpart.* folder (different in name between the two HDDs) and in each another Poolpart.* folder (the same name between the two HDDs). If you don't then I would think you have not written any data to Pool A yet and that may be the reason it isn't there yet. I would suggest you write some dummy files to Pool A to force both HDDs to have the second Poolpart.* folder.

And yes, then per HDD, move files/folders from the upper Poolpart.* to the lower Poolpart.* folder (stopping Drivepool service first, see the link).

31 minutes ago, Umfriend said:

As I understand it, you have:

Pool A: HDD1&HDD2 (physical)
Pool B: Clouddrives
Pool C: Pool A and Pool B.

Then on Pool HDD1 and HDD2, you should have a Poolpart.* folder (different in name between the two HDDs) and in each another Poolpart.* folder (the same name between the two HDDs). If you don't then I would think you have not written any data to Pool A yet and that may be the reason it isn't there yet. I would suggest you write some dummy files to Pool A to force both HDDs to have the second Poolpart.* folder.

And yes, then per HDD, move files/folders from the upper Poolpart.* to the lower Poolpart.* folder (stopping Drivepool service first, see the link).

Pool A (physical/local)

2x 10 TB Physical HDDs (actually 9 TB each)

One being named Media #1 and the other one Media #2

Main drive is called Media

Pool B (cloud):

2x 10 TB Virtual HDDs

One being named Google Drive #1 and the other one Google Drine #2

The cache for Google Drive #1 is stored on Media #1 and for Google Drive #2 its on Media #2

Main drive is called Google Drive

Pool C (physical/local + cloud)

Just pooling both of the pools (Pool A + Pool Band has pool file duplication turned on.

Main drive is called Main Pool

Both Media #1 and Media #2 has a PoolPart.xxx and a CloudPart.xxx, but when I go into the PoolPart.xxx folders only the one on Media #2 has an inner PoolPart.xxx folder. The folder on Media #1 does not have an inner PoolPart.xxx folder. I tried writing a dummy text file to all of the Main drives (the ones created by the pools) but that did nothing. I noticed that the drive with the inner PoolPart.xxx folder (Media #2) is also the drive with the most free space with approximatly 20 GB more free space than Media #1.

Yes, that 20GB thing may well be the culprit as DP writes to the HDD with the most space available. Try writing 25GB in dummy files to Pool A. If that creates an inner PoolPart.* folder on Media #1 then you're good to go.

Perhaps you can simply create that inner folder (same name as it has on Media #2) but I am not sure that will work.

17 minutes ago, Umfriend said:

Yes, that 20GB thing may well be the culprit as DP writes to the HDD with the most space available. Try writing 25GB in dummy files to Pool A. If that creates an inner PoolPart.* folder on Media #1 then you're good to go. 

Perhaps you can simply create that inner folder (same name as it has on Media #2) but I am not sure that will work.

How will writing the file to Pool A help? Pool A is the pool with all the data on it (it already has 16.5 TB on it), do you mean Pool C?

I don't have to move the files from the Media drive into the PoolPart.xxx folder on that drive, right?

Edited by Tommy Vange
Adding aditional question

19 minutes ago, Umfriend said:

Oopsie, yes, Pool C.

Okay, now it has created a PoolPart.xxx folder in both on both of the drives. Just one last questions; when I move all the files into the inner PoolPart.xxx folder, will my files still be accessible from the Media drive (Pool A)?

On 1/2/2019 at 11:29 AM, Tommy Vange said:

Yes, finally everything is working like a charm! Just one last questions; does StableBit CloudDisk take into account the 750GB per day limit by Google?

No.

You can set the upload limit to 80mbps, and that will come in just under that 750GB limit.