When a cache drive reached storage limit. Write throttles affect ALL disks.

Xenocell12

Question

Hello!

I have a little strange problem. When one of my cloud cache drives fills to the rim with cached data and naturally throttles writes to "it". I instead get throttle writes to ALL disks within the pool. The cloud drive is apart of the Stablebit Pool.

What I had thought to circumvent this issue when I have a lot of data come in I have new writes write to other disks and then later balance to the cloud drive. I only have a 50MB upload speed. :(

I'm scratching my head and wondering why this is happening? When write throttle is activated in CloudDrive, the speed gets reduced to 500-520 KB/s. Also, would this only throttle the CloudDrives specifically?

Please let me know if you require more detail. Thank you guys so much!

5 answers to this question

I technically have two "cloud" drives. One using Google Drive, and one using File Share to a TeraStation but of course is using a cache drive created by Stablebit Cloud Drive. Both cloud drives use their own hard drive to store cache data. What was happening is when Google Drive had its cache drive filled up, it stated it was throttling that drive. Terastation was showing plenty of Cache space, Cloud Drive app did not state it was throttling it. However, I noticed the write speeds did resemble throttled speeds when I saw writing actions to the terastation in Stablebit Drive Pool performance section.

I'm curious if maybe this is by design? Writes to cache drives that have a disk full throttle all of them?

Side note: my cache drive has emptied a little and balancing has gotten more organized. Not much of a problem now. :)

Above all, thank you so much for reaching out Chris. :) Again, feel free to ask any question or if you wish me to provide more details. I'll even allow remote access to review.

It shouldn't throttle all of them, but .... it could still be.

But tho expand upon my question, if you have duplication enabled, both copies of the files are written in parallel.  This means that the slowest disk is what will be used to determine the speed.  So, if this throttled disk is being written to when this is happening, then no matter the status of the other disks, it will be throttled, if it's writing to the throttled disk. 

This happens to SSDs+HDDs, too. it's just not as noticable, usually.