2TB of mysterious "Other" data on one drive

Kelby

Question

I have 2TB of "other" data showing up on one drive in my pool.  It doesn't make sense, because I don't actually see that much data on the drive.

My system:
WHS 2011
Drive Pool installed
A drive pool ("Z") with 7 pooled hard drives
Stablebit Scanner installed

Here are the details of the problem:  DrivePool shows that one of the drives in my pool -- the G drive -- has over 2TB of "other" data on it.  (I have attached an image of the Drive Pool info.)  When I go to File Explorer and look at "My Computer," it does indeed suggest that there is well over 2TB of data on the drive.  (Image attached.)  But when I look at the drive in File Explorer, it confirms that the only thing on the drive is the pool part, and when I click on the properties of the pool part folder (image attached), it shows only 266GB in the pool part, which is roughly what DrivePool shows as the duplicated and unduplicated data on the drive.  There's nothing else on the drive.

This seems wrong. 

I have tried several things to fix it, including:  
* Rechecking duplication multiple times
* Resetting all settings, multiple times
* Rebooting, multiple times.

How do I fix it?

16 answers to this question

Umfriend, I have tweaked my settings to show them, but I can't access them.  However, when I revealed the system folders, the drive shows a folder called found.000 that contains 2.15 TB.  Wow, that seems large.  I've looked over the contents, and it seems like duplicates of various other files I have.  I assume there was a problem.  So, two questions:

1.  Can I delete the file?

2.  Is this an indication that the hard drive has had serious problems, and should I replace it?  

I did have another drive in the pool fail, and I replaced it; perhaps this file relates to that failure?  Or would it be a failure with this particular drive?

image.thumb.png.9740e8424c2f5ed9721ec382fbf8c8a9.png

Hi Kelby,

I am pretty sure the found.000 is the result of dsome sort of checking and/or recovery (like DSKCHK). I am pretty sure you can delete it in the sense that nothing will break but I am not sure whether all data has been recovered somehow somewhere, so you might want to check first someway.

It has been rather recent (19 December 2018), I don;t know how to see what triggered it though. I am not even sure the found.000 relates to that specific HDD, may have been one or more others?

Are you running Stablebit Scanner? You might also want to look at Event Viewer to see if there are any DISK/ATAPI/IDE/NTFS errors there. Oh, if it was the result of a DSKCHK pass then it should have written a log somewhere, that might be interesting.

Googling helps I think, e.g. https://www.howtogeek.com/282798/what-are-the-found000-folder-and-file0000chk-file-in-windows/

Ah, it's still early here. I'm not reading terribly thoroughly, yet.

found.000 is where chkdisk throws "lost" files it finds on scan. For whatever reason the allocation table lost track of those files.I've never seen such a large number of them, but that's not to say it's not possible.

Review the folder delete whatever you don't need, move everything else to a Recovered folder within your pool and forget about it. If it happens again, then get worried.

If the condition of the disk is bugging you Stablebit Scanner is a good tool Stablebit sells, but there are free options that are just as good (but not automated) such as CrystalDiskInfo (my favorite tool). https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo

On 1/2/2019 at 1:51 AM, Umfriend said:

I am pretty sure the found.000 is the result of dsome sort of checking and/or recovery (like DSKCHK). I am pretty sure you can delete it in the sense that nothing will break but I am not sure whether all data has been recovered somehow somewhere, so you might want to check first someway.

Correct, this folder is created by CHKDSK when it finds files that it isn't sure of their actual location (eg, if the index got corrupted). 

So you'd need to open this folder, and move the contents of this folder back into the pool. 

Sorry for posting in an old thread, but I seem to have the exact same problem. I have 2 drives that have this issue. They were marked as missing and when DrivePool finally picked them up again, they had a big chunk of Other space that is just not showing up anywhere and I can't see the files that are taking up the space. 

Here's one example:

Windows says there's 858 GB free of a 9 TB drive.

image.png.6e4f64fbbd95ef6ab9cce89b87611508.png

When I look at the properties of the PoolPart it says it's only 306 GB.

image.png.fec28a089c6fc742ca5d0e8c96c3e8e9.png

This matches what DrivePool is reporting as duplicated.  

image.png.4fafb26b2afef789c041f42afd740b17.png

The Other space can't be accessed at all. My missing files must be on there somewhere. How do I get access to the missing files? Should I run this procedure? StableBit DrivePool Q5510455 - Covecube - Wiki

@Christopher (Drashna) I tried re-measuring multiple times and it's still not picking up the "other" space. I imagine I at least need to install the update and reboot since I'm on version 2.2.5, although I'm a little nervous doing that since all the trouble started when I rebooted after a Windows update. 

So, I'm interested to hear your recommendations before I try anything else.

6 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Is there anythong outside of the PoolPart.xxxx folder on the drive?  including shadow copies, lost files restored by checkdisk, get?

Yes, in my private message with you I mentioned a random sub-folder in the Volume Information folder. I tried to delete it, but it seemed to come right back after I deleted it. So, how do I get rid of it? Should I remove the drive from the pool and format the drive before adding it back to the pool?

The simple option, is you don't.  Disable shadow copies, and delete them. 

The System Volume Information will continue to come back (it's a hard coded Windows behavior), but that will reduce the usage.
If you run "control system", it's the "System Protection" option.  Turn it off and delete them for each disk, in question.

25 minutes ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

The simple option, is you don't.  Disable shadow copies, and delete them. 

The System Volume Information will continue to come back (it's a hard coded Windows behavior), but that will reduce the usage.
If you run "control system", it's the "System Protection" option.  Turn it off and delete them for each disk, in question.

I dont understand shadow copies and control system. I don't recall those options anywhere. Is that in Drive pool?

And I can't just leave it because the files are taking up 8 TB of space.

Shadow Copies is the name for the code/feature that supports Previous Versions, and other features of Windows (such as must backup solutions). 

It's not part of StableBit DrivePool. 

That said, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to take a look at your system directly, and poke around.  I may be able to identify and fix the issue a lot faster that way. 
If you're okay with that, head to https://stablebit.com/Contact and open a ticket. 

I'm having a similar issue. I have 1 drive that is registering entirely as "Other" and another with a small portion marked as other whereas the other drives are all completely marked as unduplicated. Not sure if this is an issue but sometimes snapraid loads slowly and sometimes a certain disk will register as "missing" until I reboot. ANy help would be much appreciated. Thanks!