OK, I give up. Somebody clue me in

Jasper

Question

Lost a drive out of the pool. Totally disappeared. Sent it back to it's maker and they sent me another. I installed it and added it to the pool. Since the entire pool was mirrored I expected it to automatically rebuild the formerly missing drive but nothing is happening. I looked around and could find no option to do so. This is a HTPC so it's kinda hard to work with for this sort of thing. How can I get Stablebit to rebuild the new drive?

Thanks

3 answers to this question

Assuming you have Realtime Duplication enabled (by default), then as soon as you removed the "dead" drive from the pool, StableBit DrivePool should have IMMEDIATELY started a duplication pass. In this pass, it checks all the files and what their duplication status is supposed to be. Too few, and it makes another copy. Too many, and it deletes one.  This is done in the background and should be completely transparent to you.

Once you plug in the new disk, it should use it just like any other new disk in the pool. However, that doesn't mean that it's going to immediately start using it.  Unless it finds that the file placement in the pool is not optimal, it's just going to sit there until you add new data. And then it will probably fill up that new drive first.

However, if you haven't removed the old/missing disk, then none of this will have happened yet.

From the Online FAQ (http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/Faq):

Q. What happens when one of my disks goes bad, how do I recover from this?

If all of your files are duplicated, simply disconnect the damaged drive and click the Remove link in StableBit DrivePool to tell it that the disk is never coming back. StableBit DrivePool will then immediately start re-duplicating the files that were on that disk to some other disk in your system. While this is happening you can continue to use the pool normally with no down time.

Note that if your system does not have hotplug support for the damaged disk, you will have to shut down your computer before disconnecting it.

If you have some unduplicated files on the pool, and the StableBit Scanner is installed, it will try to detect the disk failure as early as possible. At the first sign of damage it will send a message to StableBit DrivePool instructing it to begin immediate evacuation of unduplicated data from the damaged disk.

You can then remove the disk at your convenience.

More information on this topic is available in the User Manual.

If you need any clarification or have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards

Okay.

And yeah, as I said, if the missing drive wasn't removed, then that would have preventing the pool from "doing it's thing".

Also, for the future, if you have a drive fail like this, remove it immediately. If you swap disks, or even get it re-certed, if the disk has been formatted, it's no longer recognized as part of the pool.