I lost 3 hard drives within 24 hours of installing this program

ochompsky

Question

I did my research and due diligence and set everything up so no existing files would be balanced/duplicated.  The only plugin I had was ordered file placement so new content would fill drives up in the order set.  Everything seemed to be working as intended yesterday.

I wake up today and 3 of my drives are not detected by the OS and all attempts so far to recover them have failed.  They worked fine before I installed Drivepool, some of them for years.  If it was one bad drive, I could chalk it up to coincidence.  But losing 3 overnight the day I install this program?  Is there some kind of performance hit from using it?  Does the program constantly thrash the drives or something?  There was no power event or physical activity on the drives otherwise.  

I mean I have my most critical stuff backed up but this is still a big loss nontheless, almost 30 TB of data.  I've just been kind of in a daze all day, not even wanting to think about how to recover them at this point.  

Are refunds offered?  I was stupid enough to just jump in and buy the program without even using the trial version.  I understand if not.  I don't even know what to do.  

4 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, saitoh183 said:

Before saying you lost your drives, Did you try to connect them to another machine? Drivepool cant break drives. 

Yes, I've tried them in windows server and windows 10.  One of them is a complete loss, not detected under any circumstances.  The other two the machines will detect them and say they need to be initialized. 

Seatools fails the long scan and bad sector repair, tomorrow I will try the dos version as well.

19 hours ago, ochompsky said:

But losing 3 overnight the day I install this program?  Is there some kind of performance hit from using it?  Does the program constantly thrash the drives or something?  There was no power event or physical activity on the drives otherwise.  

StableBit DrivePool doesn't do anything that would cause this sort of issue.  It does read from the drives, but it shouldn't thrash them. 

Unfortunately, this sounds like it really is a case of bad timing. :(

The closest to thrashing that StableBit DrivePool gets is measuring the data on the pool.  This does trigger a lot of reads.  So if there was an underlying issues with the disk, this may have "triggered" that issue.  But this is more akin to stepping on a landmine.  It was already there, we just got unlucky. 

If you want, run the StableBit Troubleshooter on the system in question, and use "4003" for the contact ID request.  That way, we can take a look at what happened, as much as we can.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Troubleshooter

Specifically, StableBit DrivePool acts as a sort of reverse proxy for the file system. Most commands are passed directly to the underling disks, with little or no modification.  

19 hours ago, ochompsky said:

Are refunds offered?  I was stupid enough to just jump in and buy the program without even using the trial version.  I understand if not.  I don't even know what to do.  

Yes.  Just deactivate the licenses and head to https://stablebit.com/Contact and let us know. 

But I want to re-emphasize that this most likely has nothing to do with our software. 

1 hour ago, ochompsky said:

Yes, I've tried them in windows server and windows 10.  One of them is a complete loss, not detected under any circumstances.  The other two the machines will detect them and say they need to be initialized. 

Seatools fails the long scan and bad sector repair, tomorrow I will try the dos version as well.

Ah ok, well Drivepool just merges your drive, it wont do anything that would cause them to break physically