Failed to remove drive

WickedLlama

Question

5 answers to this question

Have you seen this page?

https://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=Removing a Drive from the Pool

Scroll down a little for a section on 'forced drive removal'. In this case I think you'll need to check which files - if any - Drivepool managed to save / move. If you're using file duplication, I'd expect the files still to be present on the other drive(s) in your Pool.

For the damaged, removed drive, in the past I've put drives into a USB enclosure or one of those USB docks, attached to a different computer to see what can be recovered.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, HPLovecraft said:

Have you seen this page?

https://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=Removing a Drive from the Pool

Scroll down a little for a section on 'forced drive removal'. In this case I think you'll need to check which files - if any - Drivepool managed to save / move. If you're using file duplication, I'd expect the files still to be present on the other drive(s) in your Pool.

For the damaged, removed drive, in the past I've put drives into a USB enclosure or one of those USB docks, attached to a different computer to see what can be recovered.

Good luck!

So if i did a force remove and the files left on the disk...would i be able to take those files and put them on a new drive and re add it to the pool like nothing happen? Trying not to lose the files.

My understanding is that the files would be right there on the removed disk. They'd no longer be in a hidden 'poolpart' folder (but even if they were hidden, you could use 'show hidden files & folders' in the Windows File Explorer window.)

My understanding is that 'forced removal' ejects the disk from the Pool, and tells Drivepool that it doesn't need to move the files onto a different disk before it ejects. Someone cleverer than me might be along to confirm or deny that idea.

I guess what's unknown is, will those files be intact? If the disk is damaged, you still might not be able to read them. But with luck you might just be able to drag the files onto a stick or some other storage device. If the bad drive is working well enough.

I'm assuming you're not using Drivepool's duplication options, or you wouldn't be worried about removing this drive..?

Alternative option: what if you shut down the server, pull the affected disk, stick it in a USB enclosure / dock, and see what you can get off it when it's attached to another computer? You can always put it back in the server later, restart the server & Drivepool won't know that anything's happened. The Drivepool files will be in a hidden 'poolpart' folder (which you can easily make visible in File Explorer). The files will be standard Windows files, they're not encrypted or proprietary, that's part of the beauty of Drivepool for me.

I am not using duplication. 

I have an external drive that i am going to copy the files to then remove the bad drive from the pool and try to add the external drive to the pool...hoping it will be like nothing ever happen.

The drive is just able failing with damaged sectors so i might not be able to copy everything but most i should be able too.

On 12/23/2018 at 7:30 AM, WickedLlama said:

So if i did a force remove and the files left on the disk...would i be able to take those files and put them on a new drive and re add it to the pool like nothing happen? Trying not to lose the files.

Yes.

They should be in the same folder structure as the pool.  Albeit, under "PoolPart.xxxxx".

However, there is a very good chance that you may not be able to read the files properly.