Looking at using DrivePool - duplication question

Pazu

Question

Hi all,

I'm looking at using DrivePool to replace my mirrored software raid setup, I'm looking for only protection from one a single drive failure.

So I'm assuming X2 duplication will be fine, what I can't find though is the penalty hit when using duplication, IE, I have 4 x 2TB disks, is it a 50% hit or 33% hit (Raid5 style) if I enable duplication (will I get 4tb or 6tb of usable disk space).

I also have a 5th 2TB external drive I may look at adding into the pool as well.

Cheers,

Matt

2 answers to this question

Asturia is completely correct. It's a 50% hit, as the file(s) will be on two different drives, taking x2 the space.

As for the location of this option, Look under the pie chart for the pool. There should be a "Pool Options" button/text. Click on that, and there will be a "File Protection" section. Open that menu and select the "Folder duplication" option. This will bring up a window that will allow you to change the duplication status on any of the folders. However, if you want the whole pool duplciated, select the "Pool File duplication" option instead of the "Folder Duplication" option. This will allow you to duplicate the "root" of the disk, and all the subfolders should inherit this setting (which you can verify with the "Folder Duplication" window).

Regards