Guidance on using balancers for a 100% cloud based pool?

vashp2029

Question

I have two pools setup with three CloudDrives currently, and I'm wondering if there's any need to use balancing, and if so, which balancers. I have the first pool (I'll call it the "slave" pool) made up of two CloudDrives on separate GDrive accounts (I'll call them the "slave" accounts). I have a second pool ("master" pool) made up of a single CloudDrive on a different account and the "slave" pool. The "master" pool is set to duplicate 2x, while the "slave" pool has no duplication. So basically, my "master" CloudDrive gets all the files, and the "slave" CloudDrives get half of the duplication each. I hope that makes sense...

Anyway, I'm wondering if I need balancers enabled at all since I have no real hardware to worry about. If it would be recommended to have some balancers enabled, which ones, and on which pool? So for example, should I enable balancers on the "slave" pool and the "master" pool, or just the "master"?

1 answer to this question

23 hours ago, vashp2029 said:

I have two pools setup with three CloudDrives currently, and I'm wondering if there's any need to use balancing, and if so, which balancers. I have the first pool (I'll call it the "slave" pool) made up of two CloudDrives on separate GDrive accounts (I'll call them the "slave" accounts). I have a second pool ("master" pool) made up of a single CloudDrive on a different account and the "slave" pool. The "master" pool is set to duplicate 2x, while the "slave" pool has no duplication. So basically, my "master" CloudDrive gets all the files, and the "slave" CloudDrives get half of the duplication each. I hope that makes sense...

Sounds like you'd want to use Hierarchical pooling here.  That would accomplish what you want.

23 hours ago, vashp2029 said:

Anyway, I'm wondering if I need balancers enabled at all since I have no real hardware to worry about. If it would be recommended to have some balancers enabled, which ones, and on which pool? So for example, should I enable balancers on the "slave" pool and the "master" pool, or just the "master"?

Yup, you'd still want them enabled, honestly.  Though, you should be fine leaving them at the default settings, since that's all you'll need to use.