Balancer wants to throw "everything" on cloud drive?

Xenocell12

Question

Hello!

So I am VERY happy with all of the Stablebit products. But there's one thing that seems to be shooting myself in the foot. (I think)

EDIT: So I began with my drives already filled to 60% before adding a cloud drive. This is to explain why my disks are so full already.

The balancer wants to throw everything into my cloud drive according to the blue arrows. I'm not sure why it would as that would be my entire data? Why does it think this is redundant? I have rules set to default and drives are healthy. 

While the balancer does do this it chokes the disk that the cloud cache is sitting on until it has to throttle due to maxing out the cache drive.

I have a truck load of data that comes into the pool from a virtual machine but I have to sometimes set file placement rules (via plugin) to NOT place data on the cloud pool aka cloud cache drive. I typically have it go to Disk 1 as the balancer likes to empty that one.

I'm terrible at explaining things. Forgive me. If you need more details I will respond ASAP. Or, if you would like to advise on best practices what I should do.

Thank you amazing team!

Capture.JPG

1 answer to this question

Yes, it will. 

StableBit DrivePool places new files on the disk(s) with the most available free space.  That means that the Google Drive will be the primary drive that it wants to place data on.  Because 70TBs is more than the rest of the pool. 

Also, I'm guessing that you used the "Disk Usage Limiter" balancer, and unchecked "duplicated" for all of the drives but the CloudDrive disk.  If so.... that doesn't do what you think it does.   StableBit DrivePool has no concept of "original" or "copy". Both files are 100% identical, and can be used interchangeably.  So bu unchecking "duplicated data" for the other disks, you've created a situation where the only valid location for duplicated data is a single drive. It wants to move the rest of the data off of the other disks, as much as possible. 

No, what I think you want to do is ... remove the CloudDrive disk from the pool, then add that disk, and the D:\ pool into a new pool.  Enable duplication on that pool, (and optionally, remove it on D:\), that way, one copy is on the CloudDrive disk, and another is on the local pool.